Liquor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

OK so we drink! My husband is in Quito before traipsing to our condo near Canoa, and reports that nowhere can he find reasonably-priced liquor of any type. I can understand the imports being prohibitively expensive, but certainly the locals must drink SOMETHING? Isn’t there a locally-produced liquor of some type? Maybe coconut vodka? 😉 He can’t even find wine that isn’t 3 times as much as here in the States.

Not complaining, just wondering. After all, we could always stop drinking! 🙁

Zhumir is the drink of choice for locals. It comes in a wide variety of choices. San Miguel is produced in Ecuador and costs less than $8 a fifth, and dark Caribbean rum can be purchased in Supermaxi for less than $12. Hope this helps.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

We ALWAYS stock up at Duty Free on our way back to Ecuador. You can each buy 3 liters. We usually buy good vodka, rum, scotch, and other good spirits.

As for wine, a lot of the expats here drink box wine. It’s somewhere around $4 or $5 a box. They say they like it. I can’t tolerate it. We have a local boutique store here in Cotacachi where I can buy decent wines for $8 to $10. It’s an expensive habit, for sure, but life is for living! 🙂

This may be too late, but there is a big liquor store on the same street as the Holiday Inn Hotel in Quito (street may be Orellana, I can’t remember.) They have a great selection in there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.