Live Q and A Tuesday 9/13 11.30 AM EDT

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Live Q and A Tuesday 9/13 11.30 AM EDT

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Some banks in Ecuador will allow you to open a savings account on a tourist visa…and Cooperativas like JEP will let you open a bank account with Passport only, but most banks require a cedula. Even with JEP though, they will want to see a utility bill or something to show you live there. And… you will not find every bank or branch in every community which is what I recommend you wait until you know where you will love. It can be very inconvenient if your bank is not in the same community as you are.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I am going to post some questions I got in advance…I think they will be helpful to some of you….

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Let’s get the ball rolling with a question I got in advance from Gordon. He asked:

“My first question concerns flying into Quito. It appears that all/most flights into Quito from the USA arrive around midnight. I assume our only option is to spend the first night there in a hotel/motel around the airport and then catch a bus or taxi the next morning to Cotacachi. How can we find out about specific motels at the airport? Any comments on this first leg of out trip?”

Kep Vadnais
    Participant

Understood, thank you.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Gordon,
    It depends on the dates your flying and your budget. Copa Airlines and Latam Airlines run quite a few flights a day into Quito. If you use a website like kayak.com or http://www.skyscanner.com, they’ll search all available flights and you can also refine your search according to what times you prefer. (and use the “flexible dates” function if your schedule allows—you’ll often find lower prices that way.)
    But if you still can’t find an alternative, there are plenty of hotels near the airport at Quito. There is a new Wyndham Condor right across from the airport and if you are budget conscious, consider Quito Airport Suites: http://airporthotelquito.com. Dom, the owner, will arrange a taxi transfer for you.
    I’d also suggest you not overlook Quito. It’s a fabulous city. Any hotel you choose can arrange airport transfer for you.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Glen had a great question for any car enthusiasts:

“I have a 2002 Ford Thunderbird convertible in excellent condition and I was wondering if it would be safe to drive it down to Ecuador and what are the road conditions like?”

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Glen,

Unfortunately, unless you are an Ecuadorian citizen you cannot import a car into Ecuador. And… the roads across the Darien Gap from Panama into South America in Colombia are impassable, so you’d have to ship the car from Panama to Colombia or Ecuador. You may try emailing customs broker Sandy Baquero to see if she has any options for you: sandy.baquero@gmail.com , but unfortunately, I don’t think you can bring your car.

(And, it’s probably not the best vehicle for driving here. Outside the major cities, you’ll find road conditions often require high ground clearance or a four-wheel drive.)

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Gordon also had a question about finding a place to stay.
    “What is the best way to go about finding a place (1 b/r, 1 bath furnished apt.) in advance before we arrive there? I have checked out some of the websites – vrbo, homeaway, flipkey, and vivun, as well as some email addresses for “merriscott”, “intheandes”, and “daddiomichael”, although I haven’t conversed with anyone by email yet. I also am getting the daily emails from Gringo Tree and Gringo Post for the Cuenca area.”

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Gordon,
    The sites you’ve mentioned are all great resources and you’re halfway to finding a great location if you’re already checking these regularly. Make sure to e-mail owners with any questions before you lock in your booking. I notice that you didn’t mention Airbnb (www.airbnb.com), which has a huge selection of accommodation in Ecuador with over 300 apartments and homes listed at the moment.
    You’ll also find listings for the entire country at https://quito.craigslist.org and through some individual real estate sites such as Ecuadorable Homes in Cuenca: ecuadorablehomes.com

And do a google seeach for specific communities, ie rentals Cuenca or rentals Cotacachi… you’ll find a decent selection that way.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Here’s one that’s a little personal in nature but I am well-equipped to answer:

Suzan,
    Is there a simple reason why you chose Cotacachi over another location (like Cuenca)? Thank you.
    Bob

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I love that Cotacachi is a small town. It is VERY safe and everything I need is within walking distance. I feel like we have the best weather in all of Ecuador. This is an indigenous community and I love that cultural aspect of it. If there are any drawbacks it’s that this is a small town. The sidewalks roll up at 8 PM…it’s hard to find a cocktail. 🙂 And our “high culture” pickings are slim. For some, it can be a drawback that the nearest decent hospital is 40 minutes away. But being a small town has many advantages…and we love it here.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hayden sent in this:
    “Suzan…I am interested in 1. San Diego weather 72 year round 2. Ocean front or bluff view of Ocean.. No condos… 3 High end area with amenities near by…4 Not much rain. Does such a place exist ??? What is considered the most desirable place to live…I am not worried about costs”

Edward Daniszewski
    Participant

I have a eye problem called Macular Degeneration which I have to get shots every month. Do you know of a Optamologist that can handle the procedure?

SHAUN LJUNGGREN
    Participant

We have an apartment all setup to rent in Cuenca and will start the residency visa paperwork as soon as we get there however, we have heard that customs and the airlines want to see a ticket showing that we have a plan for leaving Ecuador. What has your experience been and how would you suggest working around this? We, of course, don’t want to buy an airline ticket leaving Ecuador when we plan to stay in Ecuador.

James Canfield
    Participant

Will we be cold in Cuenca in November ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.