Loja, Ecuador: Moving, Living & Having My BE-ing…

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Loja, Ecuador: Moving, Living & Having My BE-ing…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

If there is anyone who is living in Loja, Ecuador Right Now or has been there, PLease REply…

1. I am very interested in finding who to contact concerning Real Estate to rent, rent to own or to buy..Im NOT all that interested in Expat communities.. I prefer to get to know the Peoples of beautifyl Ecuador and their culture

2. Who are the best contacts to talk to if one wants to start their own business in Ecuador, working as a Healer or to even make a living online Writing? Thx in advance for any Info I receive…

NIAMH WORK
    Participant

This from Suzan Haskins:

You really need to be boots on the ground in Loja, as there is not an active English-speaking real estate market. Once you get there, look in the yellow pages under “bienes raices” and you’ll find the biggest companies and can go and visit with them.

In your Ecuador Insider rolodex, I believe you will find contact info for a real estate attorney in Loja. If you don’t speak Spanish, two places to start a Loja real estate search are with Loja attorney Marco Muñoz (e-mail: estudiojuridicomunoz@gmail.com) and with Vilcabamba real estate company, Huilco Real Estate, which has contacts in Loja (e-mail: bernie@huilcorealestate.com).

If you are a healer, you’ll want to check out Vilcabamba, 45 minutes from Loja.

Thank U Suzan for the Information..I will check out Vilcabamba…Blessings & Happy New Year 2013!!!

ONE: Can’t figure out how to Start a New Topic.

TWO: Seeing as you’re going through a new cycle (of recruits) I’m wondering if we couldn’t have a section for Newbies to Introduce themselves.

THREE: I, too, am thinking in terms of Loja and would like to see why, of all the locations in EC, it’s pretty much off the radar for expats.

Russell, keep scrolling. Right below all the topics is a section for starting one of your own. Perhaps Loja will speak to you and you’ll get the ball rolling there.

MARK ROMO

Hola!

My name is Mark Romo and I have lived in Loja for two and a half years now.  I came down here from Atlanta and am quite pleased with the quality of  life.  I have been teaching in private Ecuadorean schools since I’ve been here and have enjoyed the experience very much.  I purchased a car a year ago and call myself a “tri-city” guy.  I go to Vilcabamba Sunday mornings, where I take an hour and a half yoga class, receive a chiropractic adjustment and then have lunch with friends.  The drive from Loja to Vilca is absolutely beautiful and is what would be called a “driver’s road”.  I have also made some connections with folks in Cuenca, which is a three hour ride north so I don’t go as regularly to Cuenca, but it is a wonderful town with a lot of cultural options.  Both of these places, by the way, are also easily available by bus.  There are not a lot of English-speakers in Loja and the town is somewhere between quaint and scruffy, as I see it.  But, that’s just fine with me!  I love going downtown and seeing the young people arm-in-arm smiling and having a good time.  It’s just a little more “tranquilo” down here.  Knowing Spanish would be a big plus if you wanted to live in Loja.  I am learning Spanish and can speak the language better than I can understand the language, which can present some problems, clearly.  But, I currently enjoy living here and expect to do so for the foreseeable future.  Good luck in your explorations!

Thanks fo that input, Mark. I really liked Loja when I had a chance to spend some time there not to long ago. very nice city and at a lower elevation than Quito or Cuenca, but not as low (and warm) as Vilcabamba.

Mark, are you aware of any Spanish Immersion programs in Loja?

MARK ROMO

Russell-  I was working with a very good Spanish teacher named Maria.  I am intending to get back with her soon.   She is in the process of changing teaching studios, but I’d be glad to get her contact information, if you’d like.

Gracias, Mark!

Please PM me the info. Right now, I’m leaning toward finding a host family hooked up with an Immersion Program where, for a month, I live with thefamily and learn, room and board included, any suggestions?

MARK ROMO

Russell-  I’ll email Maria and see if I can post her contact info here.  It is said that Loja has the “cleanest” Spanish in the entire country- a good place to learn, de seguro(for sure)!  I need to get motivated and make another language push myself.  It can come in waves…

MARK ROMO

Russell,

I also see that Canadian House offers some immersion opportunities.  I haven’t heard back from Maria, having emailed her.  Will get back to you when I have more info.

Mark

MARK ROMO

Russell-  I did hear back from Maria and she has given me permission to put her email here on this site.  If you would like to connect with an excellent Spanish teacher who will work with you where ever you curretnly are with the language, contact Maria at:   madioselina@gmail.com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.