Long Term on a Tourist Visa

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Long Term on a Tourist Visa

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Has anyone out there lived long term in Panama on a Tourist visa. It doesn’t appear that we can qualify for a Pensionado visa due to a youthful indiscretion nearly 40 years ago. However, we have been told the country would welcome us with open arms for 6 months at a time. How realistic is this? What are the pitfalls and shortcomings of this approach? Just trying to get a handle on the rarities of the situation.
    Thanks for any input you may have.

Dear Chuck,

I’m sorry to say I do not have good news in this particular regard. Some would say it is common knowledge that illegal residents in Panama generally do border runs every three to six months to “reset” their tourist visas. What’s less commonly known is that anyone caught doing this is subject to deportation and a five-year ban on re-entering Panama. This has rarely been enforced in the case of U.S. and Canadian citizens. But officials along the Panama-Costa Rica border are checking passports (and exit/entry stamps) much more carefully these days. This is likely because there are more expats in Panama than ever before. We never recommend living in a country this way for this reason, and attorneys here don’t advise clients to do this so you will likely not get a response from a reputable attorney if you ask about it. I’m so sorry if this news is a disappointment and I certainly understand that there are good people for whom minor things or even misunderstandings have meant an FBI record. I would venture that because so many “real” criminals have turned up in Panama, the Panamanian government is particularly leery.

Hope this helps clarify,

Best regards,

PATRICIA C.
    Participant

Two follow-up questions on this topic:

1. What are the criteria for denial of a resident visa for Panama?

2. What are the requirements to apply for a resident visa?

3. What type of background check is done?

4. If there is no criminal record, would an FBI file of any type (e.g., from the 1970’s when the FBI had files on many antiwar and civil rights activists) exclude a person?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed light on this topic. I’m new to this site.

Hi Chuck,

These are questions that must be answered by a legal professional. If you have a Panama attorney contact I’d refer you to them. If not we have an attorney listed in the rolodex section:

The Law Offices of Rainelda Mata-Kelly
    Suite 406-407, Tower B, Torres de las Americas
    Punta Pacifica, Panama City, Panama
    Local tel: +(507) 216-9299
    From the U.S. or Canada tel: (011 507) 216-9299
    Email: rmk@mata-kelly.com

I am sure one of the lawyers at the Mata-Kelly firm can provide more insight. My understanding is that yes, even an old “infraction” on your FBI record can cause a summary rejection of your application for Panamanian residence. It all depends on what the FBI shares in the document the FBI provides upon your request. A Panama attorney can tell you more about just what info appears on the document.

Best of luck and don’t hesitate to post again

Jessica

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.