Mail forwarding services and U.S. phone numbers

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Mail forwarding services and U.S. phone numbers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Okay, how does it work? I know that the business cards of people in costa Rica show a U.S. phone number which I assume is a forwarding number, and also a U.S. mail address that forwards. Anyone have information, direction, warnings, or opinions on how to go about finding, choosing, and evaluating available services?

Hi Carolyn

The mail forwarding works like this. You sign up with a company to get a U.S. address, they’re usually based in Miami because there’s a big cargo airport there. Your U.S. mail goes to that address in Miami and then that company sends it to you in bulk to Costa Rica. There are a lot of services doing this but two to check out are http://www.executivemaildropservices.com and http://www.earthclassmail.com. Earth Class Mail scans the mail you get and sends you an email so you can see what it is and pick what you want sent down.

The U.S. phone number in Costa Rica is really cool. I have one with a Florida area code that rings just like I was back home. I have Magic Jack, which you can buy online or at RadioShack. You set up through your highspeed Internet connection. No monthly or per minute charges – you pay an annual fee of like $80 for unlimited calls anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. And anybody can call you like you were in the States.

Does Magic Jack work just like Skype (the paid service)? Thanks, Jason.

Magic Jack is similar to Skype. But with MJ you use a regular telephone handset and you don’t have to use your computer at all. It will ring just like a normal phone, no need to be logged in or anything.

So with MJ I can use my cell phone? I don’t think I have a phone in the house in Costa Rica. I’ll be there next weekend so I’ll check. That’s another question. I’ll be living in Nuevo Arenal and if there isn’t a phone installed, is it possible to get one? Although I know that it isn’t necessary in most cases, I sometimes monitor and lead Webinars for work. In that case, they require a land line since it’s the only way to eliminate delays.

Since Magic Jack works through your high speed Internet you can’t use it with a standard cell phone. But you can get an app for the iPhone, iPad, or Android smartphone and use Magic Jack with those devices as long as you’re in an area with WiFi.

Getting a new landline for your home can be a challenge, there are long waiting periods.

Magic Jack works essentially as a landline. I do a lot of conference calls with mine and I’ve never had any problems. Not sure if it’s appropriate for leading webinars.

Question, I was just in Costa Rica for three weeks. I finally got a USB stick for Internet through ICE, however, they would only give me the low-speed until I’m a resident. If I use MagicJack, don’t I need high-speed Internet for it to work? Somewhat thoroughly confused. Also as I will use the stick, once there permanently next month, in my desktop, how can I get wireless services at home?

Finally, there are two jacks in the walls in my CR house. So, at one time, there had to be a landline available. Is it true that I will have to be a resident before I can get landline services?

So much to do, so little Spanish…

One more question. Can people weigh in as to the MagicJack vs. Vonnage and Skype paid service? Given my low-speed connection, which is better, or what issues will I have?

Hi Carolyn,

That’s weird they would only give you a low-speed USB. I have a high-speed one myself I bought at a cell phone store. It has a Movistar SIM card/data card. With your USB you might be able to switch out the SIM card with one from Movistar. They’re only $5 or so.

MagicJack does require high speed Internet. You should be able to just plug your USB Internet into the USB port on your desktop and it should work to give you Internet.

As far as getting a new landline, you are correct that only a resident can apply.

Did you do all of this inside of a corporation? As an individual they seem to be hesitant to do much of anything. I’m in the process now of setting one up.

I was told it should not be the same corporation used to buy property.

So when you bought the SIM from Movistar, it is Movistar and not ICE then that is providing your Internet service? It is ICE that said they would only give me the low-speed one.

Right. It is Movistar.

You can buy vehicles, property and other things as a corporation. But you can also do it as an individual. I haven’t really experienced any hesitation with setting up things like Internet service. I have my utilities in my name, cell phone too. It could be because ICE is part of the government, with more regulations. Movistar is a private company, which probably has more flexibility.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.