mail forwarding services in U.S. – location

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum mail forwarding services in U.S. – location

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    NANCY SCHAFF

We have sold our house in New York and have no intention of ever living in New York again, and most likely not living in the U.S. again (although one never knows). We hope to eventually end up in Costa Rica, but my husband’s work is taking us to Australia for months or possibly a couple of years first. I am baffled by trying to figure out what to do about a mail forwarding service. What I don’t understand is the implication of the location of the service in the U.S. and whether we will then be considered residents of the state where it is located (the address we are using). It seems advantageous to use a state (e.g. Nevada or Florida) that doesn’t have a state income tax, but I don’t know what else to consider. Any suggestions, experience, thoughts are greatly appreciated!

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Nancy,

I don’t believe the address of your mail forwarding service changes your Home of Record/state of residence in the eyes of the government. I think the best person to speak with on this would Nick Hodges, who is tax expert who speaks at IL events and is well-experienced with these sorts of issues.

You can reach him here: http://www.nchwealth.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.