Medical cost for chronic health problems

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Medical cost for chronic health problems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    CAROL DAWKINS
    Participant

My 68yr old husband is a insulin dependent diabetic with glacoma, using several eye drops. One of my concerns has been getting him insured, and at what cost. If he can’t get insured, these medicines that he takes, are the costs considerably lower than is the US? We wouldn’t be giving up our Medicare Advantage coverage. Is there anyone there that has similar health issues that could give some idea as to what we could expect to encounter.

You don’t mention specific medications, but FYI my wife uses Travatan eye drops. The cost is mid-30’s per bottle.

CAROL DAWKINS
    Participant

Thanks Ed: I didn’t list his meds because he takes so many. We are thinking of visiting Ecuador in the next few months. Can I take his list of meds into a pharmacy and get prices on them, or do we need to visit a doctor first. Even though we have a medicare HMO plan we still have a lot of out of pocket expense. With all of his pre-existing issues I’m assuming he may not be insurable within our budget. His medical problems play a large part in our decision. Thanks for any advise.

Planning our first trip to Ecuador in February. Both of us elderly. I will be 70 end of December, wife is 68. Can I get coverage, buy coverage, what? Any info greatly appreciated.

Carol, yes you should be able to take your meds into a pharmacy and see what costs here will be. You probably will not be able to get the exact same prescriptions, so you’ll have to do some research and that may require a visit to a doctor. Alexandria, you will need a resident visa to obtain local health insurance. If you are looking for travel insurance to cover you during your travels, check here: http://www.cruiseorairtravel.com/travel_insurance/insurance.htm

CAROL DAWKINS
    Participant

Thanks Suzan, we will do that’sthat’s

Hi,  Thank you for your reply concerning health insurance.  I didn’t make myself clear enough.  We are planning to retire to Ecuador – Manta or Salinas if our first trip turns out the way we think it will.    I am 70 with some minor health issues, my wife is 68 with none.  What health insurance options do I have at 71 ( by the time we get everything tidied up in Canada and move)?  My wife will be 69-70 by then.  Also having difficulty renting a car for a few days ( Manta as the car pickup point).  Tried online but nothing available.  Any local contacts for me to try in Manta?    Alexandria & Ted Jackson

Try contacting the following insurance companies

Cruz Blanca: www.cruzblanca.com.ec/ 

Coop Seguros: http://www.coopseguros.com/

As to be put in touch with someone who speaks English. You may find a hospital plan in Salinas or Manta that may be a better choice. As for car rentals, try Expedia.com — last time I rented in Manta that’s what I used.

My wife and I are considering retirement in Ecuador and we want to visit for a few weeks. She takes pain medication for Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP). What records will be needed to get through customs? Will we need shots prior to the trip?

Sheila, no you don’t need any vaccinations prior to the trip, although if you feel more comfortable getting some that’s totally up to you. I’ve never been asked my customs anywhere for anything to bring in medication. However, it’s a good idea to have the medication labelled with her name and doctor’s ID and if you have the prescription, bring it. I wouldn’t worry about it, really.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.