Medicare

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DOUG HENDRICKSON
    Participant

Both my husband and I are collecting Social Security (he’s 64 and I’m 67) and I know that this won’t be affected by a move to Costa Rica.

However, I’m also on Medicare and he’ll be eligible when he’s 65. Are we REQUIRED by US law to maintain our Medicare coverage? While I know that CR has both public (Caja) and private health insurance, I’m considering keeping the Medicare coverage in case we have to come back and something happens.

Are we REQUIRED by US Law to keep Medicare coverage? I’ll be forced to give up the separate Medicare Advantage plan that I have, since we won’t be in the US.

Jackie Minchillo
    Participant

Hi Doug,

Social Security Medicare and Medicaid programs do not provide coverage for hospital or medical costs outside the United States, so on the Costa Rican side there will be no requirement to keep that coverage.

However if you do want the option of traveling back to the States to receive coverage, you may want to consider keeping the coverage.

In terms of requirement by US law to keep your coverage, you will want to seek US-based legal advice.

Here are a couple of great resources to give you an overview of your health insurance options in Costa Rica:

Doug,
    Jackie’s response is right on.
    As an aside, Costa Rica now recognizes same-sex couples as dependents of each other for the purposes of the Caja as well as medical legal rights in the healthcare system in general. However, residency must still be obtained as individuals, not as a couple.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.