Medo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brenda

Is there anyone who has to take prescriptions on a reg basis that you can only get by the mo in the states? I know in MX you can get a lot of meds without a RX. How can I find out if the ones I have are available without a RX when i don’t know how to pronounce them in Spanish? I speak some Spanish and my husband is pretty good and can in his field of chiropractic but not drugs.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

You don’t know how to pronounce them or you don’t know what they are called in Spanish? If it’s the latter, you might go to Google and plug in the name of your medication, followed by the word Ecuador. See what comes up. Many of the most common drugs in the States are known by the same name in Ecuador, but pronounced differently. Mycardis in the States, for instance, is Micardis in Ecuador (pronounced mee-cahr-dees).

The best thing to do, of course, is come on a visit with your bottle of meds and take them into a pharmacy and see what the equivalents are. Or you might go to fybeca.com, the website of one of Ecuador’s largest pharmacy chains and plug in some of your prescription names and see what comes up.

There is a woman here in Cotacachi where I live who will go to the pharmacy and check on this for you. I think she charges $5 or $10 via Paypal — let me know if you want her email address?

Brenda

Thank you so much Susan. Yes it is the later of the two. I’ll try your suggestion and see what I can find. Do you know if it will tell me if an RX is required?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Brenda, prescriptions typically aren’t required for antibiotics and medications you might take for blood pressure, cholesterol and the like. Some low-dose pain medications and sleeping aids can also be obtained over the counter. You will need a prescription for most anti-depressants and any heavy-dose narcotics.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.