Meet expats in the Southern Zone- October-November

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Meet expats in the Southern Zone- October-November

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gary Buisansky
    Participant

Hi,

I’ll be spending a month from October 19th in Uvita, Costa Rica. The trip isto see if Costa Rica is “the place” for us! Would love to meet-up with local expats during this time and hear more about living in CR and the ins-and-outs of daily life.

Hope to hear from some local ‘experts’!

Warm regards
    Gary

Kathleen Evans
    Participant

Hi Gary,

Thanks for reaching out and for being an IL subscriber. This is Kathleen, the Coastal Correspondent for CR. The Dominical/Uvita area of the Costa Ballena is one of my favorite places in the Southern Zone. I hope you will find the warm hospitality and endless natural beauty to be a good fit for you! The expat communities tend to shrink a bit at the time of year when you will be visiting. Winter North Americans often leave during summer and rainy season – returning later in Nov or Dec. October does typically see the most rains and some business owners take advantage of low season and close for a bit to either travel, visit family and/or do maintenance and repairs on their buildings. This is a perfect time for scouting – prices are lower, tourist crowds are scarce, everything is green and you get to see if you enjoy the region as a “local”.

It is easy to meet expats in the area. Some of the local hangouts include:
    The Dome Restaurant (Uvita)
    Restaurant Los Laurales (Uvita)
    The Bamboo Room, has live music most night (Ojochal)
    Jolly Roger’s (Dominical)
    Tortilla Flats (Dominical)
    Fuego Brewing Company (Dominical)

Uvita has a farmer’s market or “feria” every Saturday morning 8-12. There you can not only buy local produce and other sundries at great prices, but you can check out the social scene. You will find expats there hanging out and catching up.

You also may want to pop into a local real estate office. Since it is slow season, realtors are not busy and they tend to be a wealth of information about the community. International Living partners with Pathfinder International. You can send them an email and they will help with a contact in that region: info@pathfinderinternational.net; website: http://www.pathfinderinternational.net

If you have a Facebook account, there are many groups you can join. This one is specific to Southern Zone expats and friends. All you have to do is join and post some questions or desire to meet up. You will also find postings about events going on in the area, things for sale, places to rent, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/707768359266826/

This is another general expat page for the country:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/expatsincostarica/

I know some people do not like social media. However, I will say these Facebook pages and groups have been the absolute best resource for me to settle into life here. From advice to social events. Plus, many businesses here do not have a website – Facebook is the only place you can find location, business hours, phone numbers, etc.

I hope that helps point you in the right direction. I live in Tamarindo, Guanacaste – about 6 hours north up the coast. If you do some exploring up that way and find yourself in town, let me know. I would be happy to grab a coffee or lunch with you and answer some questions – if our calendars sync up! My email is CostaRica@InternationalLiving.com.

Have a fantastic trip, Gary. Pura vida!
    ~ Kathleen

Gary Buisansky
    Participant

Hi Kathleen

Thank you so much for your comprehensive – and swift – reply!

This is exactly the type of advice I was looking for. If I head up the coast, I’ll certainly be in touch. Appreciate the offer.

Take care and thanks again,
    Gary

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.