mosquitos and biting bugs in boquete

Homepage Forums Panama Insider mosquitos and biting bugs in boquete

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JOHN COWDEN

Nothing I have read so far addresses the issue of mosquitos and biting bugs in Boquette; however, in checking the website for preventive care in Panama,  there is a long discussion regarding innoculations and preventive care travelers and I assume residents who live in Boquette.  Does anyone who has had some experience in these areas have any comments or guidelines for one to follow?

Dear John,

Yes, there are mosquitos and other biting bugs in Boquete. If you’re concerned about the illnesses transmitted by mosquitoes you can get a list of recommendations from an organization you trust.  Many expats travel to Panama without getting any specific vaccinations, as the city and other developed areas of the country (like Boquete…one “t”) have a history of being classified as low-risk for tropical ailments like yellow fever and malaria by the likes of the World Health Organization. (Panama has not had a yellow fever case since the 1970s).

To read up on vaccinations and health advisories, check online sources that offer recommendations specific to the different areas of Panama, including the World Health Organization (website: http://www.who.int), the CDC (U.S. Center for Disease Control, website: wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/) or the Canadian Foreign Affairs Office (website: http://www.voyage.gc.ca.)

And remember, if you do plan to look into any vaccinations or pre-trip treatment courses, it’s best you see your health care provider at least four to six weeks before you travel.

ALLAN LEWIS
    Participant

Hey John,

You would probably have to be trekking out in the woods at dusk to find many mosquitos…. it depends where you are located… they are around especially at dusk but here is what I did.

Outside my front door and on my rear porch, when I first got here, I hung one each of those bug lamps…. they sell them here at Novey’s.

Well, the first few nights I had hundreds or more various little moths and mosquitos on the floor below the lamps and also had to shake the lamps to clean them.

After a couple of weeks or so, it started to slow down…. and then very little showed up after a few months, and now after a few years, almost nothing is ever in the lamps but I keep them out there anyway.

I have not seen a mosquito in about two years now… and never been bitten in town, Boquete even in the mountains, at restaurants, in David, Bocas etc…. so I really don’t think there are more here than anywhere else in the world (and for some reason if there is a mosquito around, I must look like a 5 course dinner since they always go for me!!).

You will see many a Panamanian house with the doors wide open, no screens, day and night… and many expats do that also and don’t seem to be noticing any bug activity that is bothersome.

I have screens on my windows and a screen door as that is my preference (or lady bugs etc do come in from time to time and we just don’t want anything inside!)

Best of luck…

Allan Lewis

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.