Moving from USA

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Moving from USA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    GARY WOOD

Some time ago IL posted an article indicating there were some states that were better “tax wise” to leave from than others. Could someone remind me where I might find that information.

Thanks,

Gary Wood

Gary, typically these are the States where you pay no state income tax. But for the most reliable info, contact Nick Hodges. He’s an expat tax advisor and can give you the best advice. Nick Hodges: nick@nchwealth.com

STAN SMITH
    Participant

Gary, would you please pass along that info from Nick?

Thanks

Stan

And just to add my input…we left from Nebraska. And that didn’t seem to matter in the years after our departure as our tax advisor said that if we weren’t living in any state, we needn’t pay income tax. But I know people who have established their mailing address in Texas for this very reason. Sometimes I think it depends on the tax advisor wanting you to cover all bases.

Gary and Stan, another consideration, other than state income tax, is leaving from a country that doesn’t tax retirement income, etc. For that reason, I understand South Dakota may be a good option. Some expats are changing their domicile to SD for those reasons, and using this organization to help them do that: http://mydakotaaddress.com/SD%20Residency%20faq.htm

Understand, please, I can’t vouch for these folks or for the legality of all this….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.