Moving to Corozal

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Moving to Corozal

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MIKE T.
    Participant

We just returned last week from a two week trip to Belize. We went from Corozal to Placencia to Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye. We really liked each of them for different reasons. We decided the best place for us was Corozal. Not touristy, a bit lower cost of living and proximity to Mexico for shopping and health care were deciding factors for us. We did find out that there is pretty much a place in Belize for people with alot of different tastes. Want to thank you Ann for your answers and advice on this forum. We will be moving down this July to our rented three bedroom three bath house, and looking forward to many Belizean adventures.

DAVID L.
    Participant

We are returning the first two weeks in June to decide on housing in the Corozal area (probably Consejo Shores). But we are also looking in the Corozal area. Did you go through a realtor? Can you [provide information about your selection – distance from bay, costs, rental term, etc.?

Thanks,
    David and Lynn

Just as an FYI, I am working on an article for the June Belize Insider that will overview rental options in the most popular expat towns/regions of Belize. The main purpose is to give you Insiders a list of sources for finding rentals, since there aren’t that many and they vary from region to region.

Realtors do usually have some rentals, but some expat regions do have non-realtor property management firms or facebook pages, as well. In Corozal, here are the ones that I found: : http://corozal.bz/real; http://abicasabelize.com/; and http://www.consejo.bz/property/rentals.html. Right now the website for Abi’s Casa is not up to date with Corozal rentals. But she assured me that she does have them and will get them onto her website in the next month. But you can contact her, as well as these other sources.

Please share with this group what worked with rentals and what didn’t. This is the most common question I get for expats who want to try out Belize before moving here. But I can only do the research. I am not directly renting from any of these groups.

Having been to many different areas of Belize, how would You compare water clarity in The Corozal Bay as compared to the Cayes areas? Spent some time in Norhern Yucatan, Mx a month ago and was disappointed with murkiness of the Gulf. I believe the Caribbean is clearer but wonder about the Bay.

The water visibility is much clearer out at the cayes. The color is quite different. On the mainland you have a lot of river runoff. The water around the reef is the most spectacular aquamarine color and is very often clear. All of the remote cayes have this spectacular feature. The seawater anywhere near the mainland does not have the same color. It tends to be more green or brown, vs. the aquamarine hue. I am told that at certain times of year the bay is clear and has an emerald color. I assume that would be in the dry months, where there is little runoff.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.