Moving to Costa Rica

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Moving to Costa Rica

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LAURA WILLS

I have researched the cost of buying household appliances and major furniture (i.e. sofa, chairs, patio, beds) in CR, but I find the costs very high. I have also looked in to logistics of purchasing in Golfito. It would be difficult based on the time it takes to get there from our residence in Tambor, the required overnight stay and for what I am told, the appliances are typically coming for China, not USA and aren’t well made. If I run into any problems with the items from Golfito it would be necessary to take the appliance back to Golfito. Again, easier said than done.

I live in Western Canada. I am considering flying into Florida, purchasing the appliances and large furnishing, then shipping to Costa Rica. Is there a CR moving company you would recommend?

I should mentioned that I have brought most of my small household items into CR over the past year. I have everything in country to complete my kitchen, bathroom and linens, sinks, and faucets.

I do plan to purchase wood furniture products in Sarchi.

What guidance can you provide on purchasing the final items we need? Our move in date is schedule for mid-January 2015.

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Great questions, Laura.

It’s true that high-quality appliances can be pricey. But compared to the cost of buying in the U.S. having them shipped down, you might find yourself paying about the same due to the import duties you’d pay. It’s a tough call. I would suggest you contact a shipping broker in Costa Rica for more information on what you might be charged to import these types of items. Barry Wilson is a broker who has spoken at several IL events: shipcostarica.com

About the upholstered furniture and beds… you might check out Ashley Home Furniture in Santa Ana, a suburb of San Jose. It’s on highway 27 heading west out of the city. The prices aren’t bad. And you won’t find a better mattress anywhere else in Costa Rica. As you may have discovered locally-made couches and mattresses are horrible. Although the wood furniture is great.

For duty free shopping, you might also try the duty free area in Paso Canoas, which is at the Panamanian border. It’s about an hour south or so of Golfito.

COLLEEN THOMAS
    Participant

Thanks for the question. We’re huilding a house in Tambor and closing on it next summer. We’re going to be in CR in February and want to do some scouting for furnishings. You said that you’ve been bringing you small items in already. Did you ship or bring them in over time. So any insight would be welcome.
    We’re living in the Ontario (GTA).
    Colleen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.