Moving to Salinas

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Moving to Salinas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I have purchased a property in Chipipe, Salinas on the beach.

I am travelling to Salinas in early March to furnish, and fit out the condo. I wonder if anyone had any useful tips for me??
    I have visited a few furniture stores and also arranged appliances through the developer.

Any suggestions would be welcome

How exciting to have your own place on the beach! One thing to know when buying furniture and/or appliances is that often the price listed is the cost if you’re doing in-store financing which a lot of Ecuadoreans do. There should be a discount if you pay cash so be sure to ask for the cash price.

Also, it’s always a good idea to speak with local expats if you can. The ones who have been in the area for awhile can give you tips on where to get the cheapest or best quality furnishings. And if you’re looking for something specific they’ll know if it can be found in the area. Salinas has quite a few expats so it shouldn’t be hard to find them at local restaurants or cafes.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Congratulations! I agree with Wendy– chat with others about the best furniture to buy. And think about how that furniture might stand up to the coastal environment. You’ll want to buy hardwood or non-wood — I had friends who bought bamboo furniture and is was soon infested by termite-like pests. So be sure you think about how the environment might treat your furniture! 🙂

Hi there,

Thanks for your kind replies. The appliances will be offered at a discount by the developer..It is a new building called ‘Punta Pacifico’ As for the furniture. I came across a store called ‘ Muebles Ideal’ in La Libertad which comes well recommended..I don’t know if anyone has had any experience with them. I will go for solid wood.

I am somewhat at a loss for balcony furniture – if any ideas?

When I get there – sometime around 12th March – would be nice to catch up with some ‘experienced’ people.

Hi Bernard – I’ve lived in Salinas just over two years now, happy to help you out. We’ve watched your building as it went up, loos like a great place!

A couple of points; if you are coming down with a residency visa, consider shipping some items while you are still in the first 6 months, so they are duty-free. Some larger furniture, kitchen supplies and appliances, linens, towels and dishes are some of the things that are either not the best quality or very expensive here.

For furniture, there are great maestros in nearby Atahualpa that sell beautiful wooden furniture at very nice prices. We have also given them pictures from catalogs and the sizes we needed, and they have built them to order. There are some decent local staures in La Libertad, and a very good selection in Guayaquil. Boyaca (you can google their website) and Tempo Design have home and patio furniture.

One word of caution – if you bring a bed from the US, be advised that the mattresses here are not the same size as the US. They tend to be about 2″ shorter one way, longer the other. It’s a pain with fitted sheets from the US, but we still prefer the nicer quality to a good fit.

I see by your last message you must be here already – happy to help anytime.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.