My Ideal Panama Location

Homepage Forums Panama Insider My Ideal Panama Location

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A.
    Participant

I am planning on moving to Panama probably some time this winter. I have done quite a bit of research and have narrowed my choices to a couple of options, but I need a little more info to help me pin it down.

I currently live one block from the beach in southwest Florida. One of the things I enjoy most in my current life is that I can walk up the beach every day to many choices of restaurants, bars, shops, tennis courts, etc. without having to get in the car. At the beach it is even better than in the city because I can walk in my swimming trunks at the water’s edge with sea breezes and be comfortable even in the hottest time of the year.

So please help me determine my best destination in Panama. I love the city life, so I am really excited by the El Cangrejo, and Casco Viejo districts of Panama City. However my life would be further enhanced if I could add a beach to the scene. The place that comes to mind is Coronado, where I could potentially have facilities close at hand and easily visit the city when desired. However, I have not been to Coronado and don’t have a feel for the ease of getting around on foot or bicycle, my preferred modes of transportation.

Can someone give me a feel for the quantity and layout of commercial facilities in Coronado? Is it feasible to live in Coronado and be able to walk (lets say within about 3 miles each way) to a variety of different types of restaurants, bars, shops etc. preferably using the beach for my walkway? If one lives in Gorgona, can you walk along the beach to Coronado, or is there a divide which is not passable on foot?

One final question, is the cost of living in Coronado comparable to living in Panama City? Thanks in advance for ant insight you can provide.

Hi there- while I now live in David, I lived in Fort Myers Beach, FL for many years, so I know just what you mean about walking the beach! I loved being able to do exactly what you’re describing, with all the places to stop along the way.

I have not found anything truly comparable to that here in Panama, but Coronado is pretty close! Access to the beach is not as open as FL, but once you get there it is unrestricted, with miles of sand in either direction. There are many residential options within walking distance to the beach, and even more by bicycle.

There are some restaurants and bars along the beach too, mostly associated with resort hotels. Coronado and Gorgona have grown a lot in recent years and there are plenty of stores and shopping centers, mostly along the Pan-American Highway. The area is small enough that I think getting around on a bicycle is feasible. And I think the cost of living is probably comparable to Panama City.

My compatriot, Jessica, may have more to offer on this subject. And you’ll find a lot more info and photos at IL’s page here: https://internationalliving.com/countries/panama/coronado/lifestyle/

Happy beachcombing! Linda

RICHARD A.
    Participant

Thanks Linda, I have lived at Fort Myers Beach for 11 years and absolutely love it, but various factors are making me ready for a change. How would you compare the weather in Coronado with Fort Myers Beach. I haven’t really considered David, but do you think it is a location I should look at? I understand that the cost of living is a lot lower than PC, but does it have a good neighborhood for walking to restaurants, etc. like El Cangrejo? How does the weather in David compare with Fort Myers Beach or with Panama City/Coronado? It’s my understanding that you get a lot more rain there, correct?

P.S. how do I get rid of this ‘number’ identification’ and apply my name to my messages?

Thanks,
    Rich Alexander

Dear Rich,

I’ll chime in on a couple things:

1- David isn’t on the water so you’d be at least a half hour (maybe more…Linda how long is the drive these days?) from the nearest beach, La Barqueta (site of the Las Olas development).

2- The Coronado area is referred to by locals as the Arco Seco or Dry Arc, because the region gets less rain than other areas of the country. (About 69 inches a year, versus about 129 inches on Panama’s Caribbean coast). Locals have a saying: “If you don’t like the weather, just wait five minutes.” That’s because when it does rain, it’s usually only for an hour or so.

Though the rainy season is long—about seven months, from May through November—mornings here tend to be sunny year-round. Entire days of rain are very rare, and often the sun reappears before sundown. Humidity can be high but temperatures are never extreme…the yearly average is 88 degrees F, meaning that there are days that get in the 90s but also plenty of mild days…i.e., mornings and evenings in the 70s and days topping out at mid-80s F.

Most restaurants and the new shopping plazas are a short walk or bike ride from the residences inside the Coronado gates. Panama City is fab, I choose to live here and I love it, have been here for over eight years…but it is much more busy and hectic than Coronado! Lots of construction and major infrastructure projects …good for the economy…but they make driving or walking a challenge in some parts of town, especially Obarrio…the areas you mention are good right now, Casco just underwent a major reno, so construction is mostly done…it is extremely lively on weekends these days, the city’s most popular restaurants and bars are here.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Unfortunately customer service (logins, subscriptions, etc) is handled by another department and I do not have access to assist you with the correction. Kindly contact IL customer service (see https://internationalliving.com/about-il/customer-service/). I’d do it for you but the way the system is set up, it’s much more effective if you do it, providing your email address etc so customer service can get back to you directly.

Regards,

Dear Rich,

I’ll chime in on a couple things:

1- David isn’t on the water so you’d be at least a half hour (maybe more…Linda how long is the drive these days?) from the nearest beach, La Barqueta (site of the Las Olas development).

2- The Coronado area is referred to by locals as the Arco Seco or Dry Arc, because the region gets less rain than other areas of the country. (About 69 inches a year, versus about 129 inches on Panama’s Caribbean coast). Locals have a saying: “If you don’t like the weather, just wait five minutes.” That’s because when it does rain, it’s usually only for an hour or so.

Though the rainy season is long—about seven months, from May through November—mornings here tend to be sunny year-round. Entire days of rain are very rare, and often the sun reappears before sundown. Humidity can be high but temperatures are never extreme…the yearly average is 88 degrees F, meaning that there are days that get in the 90s but also plenty of mild days…i.e., mornings and evenings in the 70s and days topping out at mid-80s F.

Most restaurants and the new shopping plazas are a short walk or bike ride from the residences inside the Coronado gates. Panama City is fab, I choose to live here and I love it, have been here for over eight years…but it is much more busy and hectic than Coronado! Lots of construction and major infrastructure projects …good for the economy…but they make driving or walking a challenge in some parts of town, especially Obarrio…the areas you mention are good right now, Casco just underwent a major reno, so construction is mostly done…it is extremely lively on weekends these days, the city’s most popular restaurants and bars are here.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Unfortunately customer service (logins, subscriptions, etc) is handled by another department and I do not have access to assist you with the correction. Kindly contact IL customer service (see https://internationalliving.com/about-il/customer-service/). I’d do it for you but the way the system is set up, it’s much more effective if you do it, providing your email address etc so customer service can get back to you directly.

Regards,

RICHARD A.
    Participant

Thanks Jessica, I like a lot of activity, so ‘hectic’ might be right up my alley. I loved PC when I was there, and I believe it might be the best place for me. The ability to walk around to all the city has to offer is very appealing. I’m afraid that Coronado may be too underdeveloped for me.

Rich

That’s good Rich, you sound very clear on what you like and want! I hope the info on this website and any assistance we can offer on the forum is a help.
    Best,

P.S. Ask locals and they will tell you David has a reputation for being the warmest city in all of Panama. More on climate in the Panama Insider articles posted on this website!

Hi again Rich- Jessica has given you a lot of good info. Let me also address your latest questions.

As she says, David is not on the water, and the beaches near here are not developed so it may not be the best place for you. It’s about a half-hour drive to the closest beach, Las Olas.

The climate of David and Panama City are about the same, but the city benefits from ocean breezes (just like Fort Myers Beach!) so it is a bit fresher at times, and more buildings/businesses have A/C in the city. Compared to FMB, it is warmer here year-round. Even in SW FL it is quite cool in Jan. and Feb. but here it is hot and dry in those months.

You have some great options to explore when you return to Panama! Best of luck, Linda

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.