navigating the Pacific Coast by bus?

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum navigating the Pacific Coast by bus?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Gay Pulner
    Participant

I am coming to CR in May-Liberia. I am female and in my 50s. I will be traveling alone. I want to travel from Liberia airport south to an event in Quepos. I am hoping to retire to CR in a few years, so I intend to use this trip for a little exploration before I attend the event in Quepos. I want to see if I can navigate without the help of a travel agent. However, I’m nervous about renting a car in a foreign country, but wonder if that is the best way to explore the coastal/near coastal towns between Liberia and Quepos. Can I do this easily by bus? Do I need to make advance hotel reservations, or is this something I can do as I go?? What kind of documentation do I need to rent a car? Are cars available for rent near the airport? Is it a better idea to hire a driver? Can I catch a bus headed south near the airport? Please help me with some feedback. Thanks!!–Gay Pulner

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Travel for a solo female is very safe. I would say that a rental car is the most convenient way to see the country. And with a GPS (available at the rental car agency) you will be able to get around no problem. There are about 10 different rental companies at or near the Liberia airport. It’s best to make a reservation online beforehand and they’ll pick you up in a shuttle to take you to get your car. Keep in mind that the insurance costs are pretty high, so that will add quite a bit to the price of the rental. As far as documentation, all you need is your passport and driver’s license from your home country/state. Most companies also require a deposit on a credit card of about $750 – ask the company you reserve with what their amount is.

From Liberia to Quepos there is quite a bit of coast to explore and you have a few options. If you were to drive straight through the trip would be about 7 hours, by the way. I’d say Tamarindo, which is an hour from Liberia, is a good place to start your trip. From here you can visit nearby beach towns like Potrero, Playas del Coco, and Flamingo. Some possible next stops are Nosara and Samara, which are on the Nicoya Peninsula about two hours south of Tamarindo. I would not recommend traveling any further south on the Nicoya Peninsula. Some of the roads are not in the best shape and once you’re there you would have to take a ferry to get further down the coast and that is a complicated process.

On the way to Quepos, you will pass through the Central Valley, which is a mountainous region that has a temperate climate. Some towns here include Grecia, Atenas, and San Ramon. They might be worth checking out. It’s not the beach but very popular with expats.

The next coastal towns are Herradura, Jaco, and Esterillos. They are on the road to Quepos, about an hour to 30 minutes north. Jaco is a bustling resort town, Herradura and Esterillos are quieter, smaller, and more residential.

If you don’t rent a car, I think taking the public bus for so long would be too inconvenient and you would take up too much of your time waiting at the bus station. But there are private shuttle vans that cost about $50 per trip that get you from door to door. Interbusonline.com and Graylinecostarica.com are two of the best.

As far as hotels, you will find a range at all the locations I’ve mentioned. From cheap hostels to mid-range hotels and B&Bs to luxury resorts. I would recommend making reservations prior to your trip so you make sure you get the hotel you want at the right price. TripAdvisor.com is a great source for finding hotels.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.