Need Info on Moving to CR

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Need Info on Moving to CR

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I, too, am considering a move to Costa Rica (I still have elderly parents in the States, so need to be close enough to get back quickly if necessary). I’d like to live in a temperate climate and close to other expats, but not surrounded by them exclusively… still want to be able to mingle with the locals and enjoy the culture. Mountains, beach, near town… just so the climate is mild year round. NOT a big fan of humidity, so no rain forest. 😉 Would love the Caribbean!!!

I would like to be able to generate some income once there. I am a natural healthcare consultant, lymphatic therapist, and spiritual counselor. I am also an internationally ordained Minister, and recently started an international non-profit Foundation, the focus of which is on health, education, and humanitarian deeds.

I would like to know costs of renting both a furnished and unfurnished home, preferably with two bedrooms; one bedroom with a den would work also. I do have some furniture, but I think the cost of shipping it may be more than just renting a furnished place for the first year. After that I should know better where I would want to live permanently and whether or not I want to buy or continue renting (at which time I can decide about bringing my own things).

I need info on becoming a resident, health insurance, banking… all of the usual questions, I’m sure. 🙂 I look forward to making my home in Costa Rica and getting to know many of the other expats already enjoying this beautiful country.

Thank you for this wonderful forum – I feel so much more secure doing this type of exchange here than on facebook.

Maggie ~ Emissary of Hope

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Margaret,

Welcome!

I’m happy to help.

First off, be sure to check out the Costa Rica Insider member website for info on residency, health care, and all that stuff: https://internationalliving.com/country_clubs/costa-rica/

As far as your specific questions. The most temperate climate is the Central Valley, which is an area on the interior of the country. But you’re still only an hour to an hour a half from the Pacific coast. So beach day trips are possible. The Caribbean is also a beautiful area but definitely more tropical climate – not unbearably hot and humid though.

I think you would do well with your expertise starting a business in Costa Rica. A lot of expats are into alternative health and spirituality. And locals are too.

Furnished rentals start at around $400 for a furnished two-bedroom. That’s for a nice simple place in a good area. But prices range widely – you’ll pay more to be near the beach or to have North American amenities like dishwasher, granite counters, etc.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.