New Automobile Dealers in Costa Rica

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum New Automobile Dealers in Costa Rica

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jasen,
    I am trying to confirm the differences in the cost of a new Vehicle in Costa Rica, vs what it cost here in the states. I know they kill you on import duty, but had heard that some of the foreign Automobiles offered for sale, have a similar duty to what that vehicle cost when imported to the us. The vehicle that I have heard the most about was a VW, that is made in Mexico. I tried Google for dealer names with no luck. Any names of dealers that you can give us around San Jose?

I assume that Toyota, Honda and Nissan all have dealers there, but are these cars a lot more costly there because they are made in plants in the US?

Also, are you attending the International Living Conference in Las Vegas the end of this month?

Bill Mills

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Bill,

The taxes apply pretty much anytime a vehicle is imported into Costa Rica from anywhere, so you’re right, cars in the country tend to be more expensive compared to the U.S. Used cars are taxed highly as well.

Oddly enough many of the Toyotas, Hondas, etc. sold new in Costa Rica aren’t made in the U.S. They’re manufactured elsewhere for sale in foreign markets like Costa Rica. In fact, you’ll find several models in Costa Rica that you won’t find in the U.S.

I did find a VW dealer in San Jose: http://www.volkswagen.cr/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/es_cr/concesionario/concesionario.html

VWs are pretty popular in CR but I’d say Asian automakers are most popular and as a result you’ll find the most qualified mechanics around the country.

I will be at the conference in Vegas this Sept 27 – 29. I’ll be speaking on stage twice and will be available in the exhibit hall at other times.

MIKE LEON

While this is not a new car question I am interested in knowing how expensive it is to bring a car into the country at the time that you move in.

Also, do you happen to know if American car parts are available or better yet if there is a Chrysler dealer?

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Mike,

The first thing is the value of the car, basically based on the “blue book” value and all the features it has.

Then you look at your car’s age.

If your car is six years or older you’ll pay up to 79% of its value to import it. Three years or less, the rate is 52%. Between four and five years old – it’s 63%. You can calculate your car’s value here: http://www.hacienda.go.cr/autohacienda/autovalor.aspx. The site is in Spanish. No English language version yet.

American car parts are available in Costa Rica, although they are less common than Asian car parts.

There is a dealership that sells new Chryslers, along with some other makes: http://www.autostar.co.cr/

MIKE LEON

Thank you Jason. So then you do not get to import one vehicle duty free when you first move to Costa Rica?

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately you no longer get to import one vehicle duty free into Costa Rica. I believe Nicaragua and Panama still have that advantage – but don’t quote me on that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.