optometric volunteer/Denver grey article

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum optometric volunteer/Denver grey article

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

When I retire to Ecuador, I would like to offer my services as a volunteer optometrist
    There wasn’t much info on google, so I was hoping you could supply a contact.

On a 2nd matter, we really identified with the Denver Grey article, and would to ask Denver a few questions. Could you please forward my email address and ask Denver to contact me.

Many thnks for this forum and your efforts
    Phil Mischenko pamischenko@gmail.com

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Philip, what kind of contact are you looking for? And where? I’d suggest that you really can’t start any volunteer activities until you actually live in Ecuador. Once you do, you’ll find plenty of opportunity to get involved. And I’m not sure about the article you’ve referenced. If you could send me a link to that, I’d be happy to try to help.

Hi Suzan;

In the past I did some work in Mexico with an American organization called Liga, which had both local contacts in Mexico, and health care practioners who flew in for 2-3 day clinics. So my 1st thought was if there was group that did similiar work in Ecuador. My second thought was there might be some local clinics with a main organization behind them. I tried googling, but without much success. I thought someone in your sphere of contacts might know something. I’m probably 2 years away from residence there, but am planning a trip in May, and thought I might start to see what options are there.

The Denver Gray article was “The Ecuadorian Vacation that lasted a lifetime”, and I found it posted under Recent articles, which is one of the links on this Ecuador Insider website.

Many thanks for your efforts

Phil Mischenko

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Phil, I’ve asked a couple of our editors (not sure which one Denver worked with) to send your note on to Denver — so hope you will hear from him soon!

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I see Denver has emailed you. Also, it occurs to me that you might try emailing our physician in Quito and ask him about volunteer opportunities. His name is Dr Alvaro Dávalos and his email address is adavalosp@ecnet.ec.

Email address for my husband’s vitreoretinologist is Dr Gustavo Alvira: gustavoalvira@netlife.ec — he might also be able to help.

You might also try contacting:
    Dr Juan Moreno
    Centro Oftamologico
    Santa Maria 454 y Amazonas
    Tel: 252-7300/223-8905/223-4844

I’ll see if I can get an email address for him.

Suzan;

Got the info on the medical contacts, and I just emailed Denver.

I very much appreciate your time and effort.

Best

Phil

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.