Organic Produce & Restaurants

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Organic Produce & Restaurants

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I am vegan. What is the availability of organic produce and restaurants in Cuenca?

Organic produce is readily available (we don’t have bugs here!) and I believe at least one restaurant claims to serve organic fare.

GLEN FUOSS

What do you mean, you don’t have bugs there? No insects of any kind?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I don’t know about ‘no bugs’ but there are no mosquitoes above a certain elevation in the Andes. At certain times of year, though (rainy season), we have some small biters that hide in tall grass near the creeks and rivers. Not a problem in the cities, only if you live is a grassy area near water.

Also, Charles, I’ve heard mixed reviews of whether produce sold in the open-air mercados is actually organic or not. People will say whatever to get you to buy their stuff… and they are not regulated. I’ve been told to look for the little old indigenous ladies who only have a handful of things to sell. They likely can’t afford chemicals.

That said, I am sure there are organic farms in Ecuador — if you go to SuperMaxi, our largest and most ubiquitous supermarket chain, you’ll find products that are labeled organic. And I’m certain they are. So if you buy a the chains and read labels, you can be sure of what you’re getting. At the mercados you “may” get organic but you can’t be certain.

Thanks for the info. This site is really helpful. It’s a great service.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.