Orosi Valley

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Orosi Valley

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kelly Obryan
    Participant

Hi–We will be in Costa Rica the week of May 5 for our 3rd visit to the country. This time we will be staying in Orosi for the week to check out this area (last trip we spent our time around Lake Arenal). We are nearing retirement and are seriously checking out areas for a possible move. We like a more rural life style and definitely want the cooler weather away from the coast for living. My questions:
    Is there a restaurant or location near Orosi where it is likely to meet expats to chat about living in Orosi?
    Is there a Spanish language school in Orosi?
    Is there a recommended place to trout fish near Orosi?
    How long does it take to drive to Puerto Viejo from Orosi?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Kelly O’Bryan

Kathleen Evans
    Participant

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for reaching out. And congratulations on your “near” retirement. You are doing your research right, exploring first before jumping in with both feet!

And if you like a quieter, rural lifestyle away from the heat, Orosi might be an excellent choice for you. My beat is coastal Costa Rica and my colleague, John Michael, covers the Central Valley. So he may be able to follow up with additional info.

In answer to your questions…
    There are not many expats in Orosi, from what I understand. However, you might connect with a few in nearby Paraiso if you go to the bakery or have coffee. If you want to be more involved in the expat lifestyle, you would need to venture just a bit further to the city of Cartago, where you will find a larger population of expats. You can also do an online search for expat forums in the area.

There is a Spanish language school there called Montaña Linda and they have several different learning options. I suggest you research them in advance or stop by the school when you arrive and see if their style fits what you would be looking for.

I am not a fisher, but I have heard Kiri Tapanti Lodge has an awesome trout pond and they will cook what you catch.

I also found this information from a forum which might be helpful for your visit:
    “You should also check out the Orosi Lodge, home of thermal hot springs or the “public hot spring baths” on the road by the Tapanti Lodge. The other really cool thing is the hanging bridge over the whitewater river as you circle the Orosi valley toward Cachi. The bridge used to have a voluntary toll, it is a walking bridge only but connects Cachi to Orosi in a short walk, The bridge is worth parking at and walking out on. The oldest church in Costa Rica is also in the center of Orosi and there’s a small museum there. For all who have not been to Orosi, it’s an easy day trip from San Jose and really cool to see. You pass the lancaster Gardens as you leave Cartago toward Paraiso, which houses one of the largest collections of orchids and bromeliads in the world. Sir Lancaster spent much of his life amassing the collection.”

Have a fantastic trip and best of luck finding the right place for you!
    Pura vida,
    Kathleen – Coastal Costa Rica Correspondent

Hola Kelly,
    Lucky for you, I live in the Orosi Valley!
    Kathleen is correct that there are few expats in this area, but there are about 100 of us.
    There is no special hang-out where you’ll find us…we just connect with each other in our homes, etc., although we often get together or run into each other at the pizza place Il Giardino in Orosi. (It’s great by the way.)
    Where will you be staying?
    There are several trout fishing areas nearby, but none are really river fishing…they are almost all farm-raised, catch and eat places. One of the best and most famous is just about 1/2 mile from my house. It’s called Montaña Trucha in Cachí.
    There are a couple of Spanish schools, one is just next door to the Orosi Lodge.
    The drive to Puerto Viejo is easy as the roads are all very good. We made the trip last month in about 2 1/2 hours.
    We are on the go all the time, and we have company arriving on the 3rd, but I’d be glad to meet you for coffee one day, if we can work out the logistics.

We will be in the hottest part of the year when you’re here, so you’ll know the worst heat we have in the area. (I’ve never measured anything higher than 84F here at our house.). We average 60 F overnight and mid 70’s during the day.
    JMA

Kelly Obryan
    Participant

Hola John Michael,

Thank you for the information! We are staying at the Orosi Lodge. We will arrive on Sunday, May 6 (driving from San Jose–so we’ll be there in the morning sometime) and will leave on Friday May 11 to drive back to San Jose for our flight home on Saturday. We don’t have anything definite planned, since we just want to explore, hang out and get the feel of the area. We would love to have coffee with you if you can manage it! As time gets closer would it be appropriate for you to leave a message for us at Orosi Lodge about where and when you could meet-if it works out for you? We will definitely fit into your schedule, and also will certainly understand if it doesn’t work out for you. It’s very generous of you to offer. Our reservation at Orosi Lodge is under my name-Kelly OBryan.

Muchas gracias!
    Kelly

P.S. Kathleen–thank you also for your help and information!

Hey there
    I’ll give the Orosi Lodge a call and see if I can catch you.
    JMA

Kathleen Evans
    Participant

Kelly,

I hope you are having a wonderful trip….meeting some expats, practicing your Spanish, and catching lots of trout!! Give us a report when you get home and have time.

Pura vida!
    -Kathleen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.