paying import duty on items ordered from amazon

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum paying import duty on items ordered from amazon

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi Jason:

Is there anyway for me to determine in advance approximately what percent of import duty I would pay if I had food items delivered from amazon? I am on special diet and I regularly purchase some items that I can only find on amazon. So I doubt I would be able to find them in Costa Rica. I read that there can be problems ordering vitamins from amazon, is that true?

Also, have you ever noticed tofu, tempeh, lentils, kidney beans, garbanzo beans for sale in Costa Rica in addition to the black beans? For heart health reasons I am a vegan and those items are part of my regular diet.

Thanks again for our help.

Stephanie

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Stephanie,

Great question. For Amazon orders, most people use a service like Jetbox.com, which has offices throughout Costa Rica. They’re kind of like a private courier service. Your Amazon order is shipped to their place in Florida and then down to their office in Costa Rica. They take care of all the customs as well. They would be best equipped to help you figure what the customs fees might be.

I haven’t heard of any particular problems ordering vitamins through Amazon. But keep in mind that Costa Rica has a big tradition of natural cures and such. There are stores called “macrobioticas” that are basically natural pharmacies. They carry herbs, vitamins, oils, etc. So you might be able to find what you need in-country.

In most stores you can find lentils, kidney beans, and garbanzos. You have to go to speciality stores to find tofu and different varieties of lentils. I haven’t yet seen tempeh, unfortunately. That’s one thing my family misses from the U.S. as well. It’s possible there is a specialty store I haven’t found yet that carries it but so far no luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.