Pensionado visa and social security

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Pensionado visa and social security

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    campbell39491
    Participant

If I retire in 2015, my social security will be just above the $1,000 requirement for a pensionado visa. However, it will be under that amount once the automatic deduction for the Medicare Part B premium is taken out, and the US government does not allow the option of paying the premium directly by check or automatic bank withdrawal. My question is, will the Costa Rican government consider the full social security amount for purposes of granting a visa, or will they look at the amount after Medicare is taken out and consider it insufficient for a visa?

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Great question. I am not sure. So I’ve contacted some experts in the field of residence to get the answer. I’ll get back to you ASAP.

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

So here’s the scoop…

The amount the CR government looks at as far fulfilling pensionado requirements is the gross Social Security, before the Medicare payment is taken out. So you should be fine.

I wanted to let you know about a great resource as you get closer to filing for residence. The law firm of Petersen and Philps, located in San Jose, specialize in helping expats with matters of residence, buying property, etc. They speak at IL events.

http://www.plawcr.com

campbell39491
    Participant

Thanks, Jason, for getting back so quickly with an answer. I am relieved they look at the pre-Medicare amount. Thanks also for recommending a reliable law firm. I would not attempt the process without an attorney.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.