Pensioner Visa allows to work?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Pensioner Visa allows to work?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    HECTOR H.

I’m planning to retire to Ecuador under a 9-I Pensioner’s visa.
    I understand that this visa will allow me to reside in Ecuador, BUT would it allow me to work?
    I would like to teach in a university in Ecuador, but my plan is to first get there, again as a Pensioner, and once in Ecuador I’ll look for a job. Is this a good/right/feasible way to do it?

Thanks!

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hello, you cannot legally work on a pensioner’s visa. So perhaps you might want to rethink your visa strategy and opt, instead, for a professional visa. You should probably contact an immigration attorney or a visa facilitator to get the latest information. Check to see if the university you recieved your degree from is on this list: http://www.educacionsuperior.gob.ec/…/LISTADO…

A visa facilitator in Guayaquil who has handled a lot of these and seems to be very on top of all this is Dana Cameron: agua_plata@hotmail.com — she processes a lot of visas for people who live in Cuenca and along the southern coast, but she appears to be very good about answering questions.

I didn’t know that a person on pensioner’s visa couldn’t work in Ecuador. My husband is in his early 70s and we’re planning on retiring in Ecuador. He’s learning to become a piano tuner and was hoping to have a part-time income by starting a piano tuning service, maximum 3 pianos per week. Will this type of work/business be OK for pensioners?

Hi Jacqueline,

You can start your own business here in Ecuador with any type of residency visa. In fact three years ago when my husband and I started our restaurant we didn’t even have our visas yet, though the rules may have changed by now. What Suzan is referring to is that you cannot be hired by a company with a pensioner’s visa. You would need some type of work visa for that or possibly the professional visa that Suzan mentions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.