Pills for parasites

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Pills for parasites

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/nitazoxanide.html

Now that we’ve settled in coastal Ecuador, friends suggest we take this anti-parasite drug whether or not we think we have any parasites. They take it every 6 months or so.

I’m not asking for medical advice, just wondering if you experts do this on a regular basis for prevention.

Hi Gretchen – let first say that everyone is different, and you should check with your doctor before taking any new medication. That said, my wife and I do take a 6-month preventative for parasites. It is a two-day treatment, one pill the first day, and two of a different type the second day. Has it helped? Well, it’s one of those things where you can’t prove a negative – we have not been bothered by parasites in the three years we have lived in Salinas, but I cannot say it is because of the medication. For example, we also take the precaution of drinking bottled water, and washing our fresh fruits and vegetables in an mild antibiotic solution.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Wendy. I have lived in Latin America for 15 years and have never done this. I do have the occasional physical (had one last March) and have never tested positive for parasites.

GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

Thanks to you all for chiming in. People seem about evenly divided on this. My sister lived in Peru for 40 years and said on their annual check-up, they always needed a treatment but did not do it pro-actively. Our PCP back in the States knew nothing about overseas stuff so I am just asking around.

JIM SANTOS—NICE article in the Wall Street Journal! I wish our buses were 30 cents here on the North Coast. They are $1 and taxis to town (8 miles or so) are $7 or $8. We actually looked at your building but paid half that to be further out of town and slightly smaller. Still beachfront. And we can’t walk to stuff (except a couple open-air cafes) which is a drawback, but we knew that. As you said, trade-offs. Hope to get to the Galapagos and Machu Picchu someday too…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.