Planning a trip to Panama

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Planning a trip to Panama

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Planning a scouting trip to Panama? The prospect of planning a one-week, two-week, or months-long trip can be quite daunting, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the territory. That’s why we’ve put together some itineraries for travelers. You’ll get to visit the best places to live and retire in Panama and have suggested places to stay and eat, as well as local real estate folks to help you if you’re house hunting.

You can check out the Panama itineraries here: https://internationalliving.com/country_clubs/panama/travel-itineraries/

And let me know if you have any further questions!

Have a great day Panama Insiders!

IL Panama editor Jessica Ramesch

DOUG HENDRICKSON
    Participant

Yes, I am planning a trip to Panama and I’ve got about the same itinerary you outlined. We’re thinking about eventually ‘retiring’ there and want to get to see the areas of Cerro Azul, Coronado, Sora/Altos del Maria, El Valle, Boquete, and Volcan. We’ve lined up some real estate agents, based on IL recommendations, at each location. I think it’s going to be a tough decision, based on what I’m hearing about each of the areas (pros and cons).

We would love to hear back from you regarding your trip. It sounds like you are prepared and I hope you have a wonderful time!

P.S. Yes each area has lots of pros and cons to consider, but you may find that one area really calls to you, so possibly it won’t be such a tough decision. I find that each town has such a different character and feel…that can be very hepful when you’re trying to make a decision.

And I’m certain you will meet many expats along the way, who will share all kinds of opinions and experiences with you!

AMY TUSO

We are very interested in the master planned community of Los Islotes.  Can you tell me the best way to travel from the airport in Panama City to Los Islotes.  Also, where would be nearest medical facility and shopping be?

LAWRENCE NEVINS
    Participant

Jessica – Thanks very much for the sample itineraries. I’m just starting to plan a trip to scout Panama next year, and these are very helpful!

JAMES GLOVER

The iteneraries that you have created are a good idea. Do you have any guesses on approximately what it would cost to perform the 2 week Essential Panama Tour with 2 people (main concern is hotel and rental car expense-We are middle age and do not mind “mid-level” hotels/B+B’s/etc)? Do you have any suggestions also on the availability of guides for the same tour? Me and my wife would like to do a tour in January.

Hello James,

For road trips, tours, and transportation in Panama (including airport pickups) contact local operators like Inside Panama, email: transport@insidepma.com, tel: +507-6675-6601; Turista Internacional, email: incentives2@turistaintl.com, website: http://www.turistaintl.com; Sealandsky Journeys, email: ditase@yahoo.com, tel: +507-6630-0847; or Marco Colucci, tel: +507-6672-1201, email: macoluche@hotmail.com.

I don’t feel comfortable venturing any kind of figure RE cost of the entire itinerary as that depends greatly on your choices for:

dining: a meal can cost anywhere from $2 to $60 depending on whether or not you self-cater, sample local places, have wine/drinks with meal, etc

accommodations: from $10 to $200 a night depending on your tastes (hostels? hotels?)…you say mid-level so I’d guess you will pay somewhere between $40 and $90 a night.

I will say entrance fees to attractions like museums and natural parks are usually very inexpensive, sometimes as little as $2 to $10.

Unfortunately rental cars are not a whole lot cheaper than in the States, as insurances (which I always recommend getting) add a lot to the daily rates. The last time I rented a car I went to a nicer (more expensive) rental agency, I think it was National, and I got a promotional rate of about $90 for the first week (total was 8 or 9 days) and ended up paying $400 after factoring in all the insurance (I take all of the options offered minus health as I have my own). And that for a small automatic with no bells or whistles (no tint to the windows, manual windows).

Hope this helps you figure your own costs.

I’m planning my first trip to Panama in April. I looked over your suggested Itineraries and several look interesting, But I’m wondering if it is safe or practical for a woman driving alone? Also I am an multi media abstract artist and would really like to explore areas with a strong art scene. Any suggestions?

Dear Peggy, I have driven to all the destinations on my own. Of course I employ the same common sense and awareness I did when living in the U.S., which included being aware of my surroundings, avoiding driving at night on deserted roads or roads with poor visibility (it’s generally easier to drive by day as side roads are not always illuminated), dressing to blend in, not flashing money or anything expensive, etc.
    As for a strong art scene that would be Panama City. You can see some relevant flyers at the International Living Panama Facebook page (see the photo album).
    Hope that helps and happy planning!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.