Polite Dogs

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Polite Dogs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

Coming to the end of my first month in Ecuador, I have endless observations I could make, but one stands out.

I am struck, as many of us visitors are, by the ubiquitous homeless dogs all over the city streets, and even patrolling the tiny outdoor cafes dotting the beachfront. But unlike their Stateside counterparts, these humble dogs either ignore, or passively observe you from a distance. I am so used to be challenged, chased, begged-at, barked at, and otherwise hassled by dogs, that this laid-back behavior is amazing to me. No snarling, no barking, no chasing as you pass by. Live and let live. This canine attitude even extends to the ever-present chickens scratching out a living alongside them. The dogs seem to regard them as poultry peers and don’t hassle or chase them. Dogs are a huge enemy to chickens in my experience, even killing them just for sport.

As we relaxed in the beachside “palapas” (open-air bamboo structures), sipping our pina coladas—yes, living the clichĂ©—a homeless dog parked himself quietly on the sand behind our chairs, not even in a position to beg/stare at us. We only realized he was there when another dog approached and he let out a low growl to indicate he’d marked us out as his. For that, I had to slip him a patacone (fried plantain). The cafĂ© staff is indifferent to the wandering dogs, as are most residents. The only obnoxious dog behavior I’ve seen is from pet dogs. Go figure.

Interestingly, most of the feral dogs (who don’t seem to form aggressive packs, either) seem to revert to a common “type”: medium built, slight curled tail, floppy ears. I guess this is the dog-default body style.

I know the experts here I not dog-psychologists, but I am curious as to how these untrained, owner-less dogs learn this wonderfully passive behavior? It’s really refreshing.

Sadly, homeless dogs are prolific here in Ecuador. But you are correct in that the street dogs are generally well-adjusted and non-problematic. If you’ve ever watched Cesar Milan you’ll understand to some degree why this is. I won’t go into in-depth doggie psychology here, but essentially these dogs are living life on their own and by the rules of other canines. They get plenty of exercise just roaming the towns and finding whatever food they can, so you don’t have that pent up nervous energy that many pets suffer from. They are focused on their next meal, staying safe, and keeping cool (or warm during rainy mountain days). They are well socialized with other dogs and animals because they are around them all the time and any bad behavior will be corrected by other dogs (or by people when it comes to chickens and other livestock).

So yes, while we do see dogs running free here, I’ve never had a reason to fear them and rarely do they even approach people. They’re just off doing their thing and it seems to work out for the most part.

Bill Howes

Based on Caesar’s teachings,I can’t help but think it may have something to do with the ‘calm assertive’ nature of the Ecuadorian people and I don’t yet know them.
    Bill H.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.