Postal Service in Ecuador?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Postal Service in Ecuador?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JOHN TAYLOR

After living in several 3rd world countries in Africa and Asia, I learned to avoid their postal services because you never knew if your mail had been pilfered or stolen or simply thrown away.
    Is the mail in Ecuador reliable? I am particularly interested in small packages sent from purchases made outside Ecuador on the internet. How are customs fees paid? Does one need to rent a box or is delivery made to an address?

John Taylor

John, you won’t be surprised to learn that mail service is also unreliable in Ecuador. For small packages, check out . I’ve never personally used it (we go back to the States pretty often) but some of my amigos have had success with it.

Nuts! I never do that link thing correctly. http://www.clubcorreos.com.

JOHN TAYLOR

Gracias for your prompt reply. You are right. I am not surprised. I checked out the link and $400 for 4 kilos is even more expensive than UPS overnight here is the states.
    The thought entered my mind that this might be an entrepreneurial opportunity, but I quickly forgot about it. The government is usually involved in postal services and import/export customs and to compete with them can get one introduced to the police or military. Or the Ecuadorian equivalent of the Zetas. I am not that adventures anymore.

John Taylor
    38 degrees C in Texas this afternoon.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I don’t think it costs $400 to send 4 kilos, you might want to check that again. I think there is, though, a rule about not sending anything with an invoice of more than $400… And you might check at gringotree.com — there are other mail services you can use, too.

ROBERT CRENSHAW
    Participant

So what’s the best way to handle forwarded mail ?

KAREN MIDYET
    Participant

So does that mean that getting deliveries from Amazon is out of the question? at least safely?
    Karen

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Karen, you can get Amazon deliveries through clubcorreos, etc. And most people get a P.O. box in whatever Ecuador town they live in… and have mail sent there. Or you can get a service like EarthClassMail.com that will scan your mail if you like and send it to you electronically… then you can decide if you need it physically or not…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.