Prescription Drugs

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Prescription Drugs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Richard Dagit
    Participant

The Ecuador Insider newsletter sent on 9/23/2016 contained a piece written by Jim Santos on ‘Using farmacias in Ecuador’. It contains a statement indicating psychotropic drugs are not available in Ecuador. I have seen other forum topics that indicate prescriptions are available for medications for depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders. Can anyone tell me if psychotropic medicines are still available for the mentioned medical conditions?

Hi Richard, this is Jim. Give me a day or two – I’m going to double-check with a doctor friend of mine, and see if I can get a more specific list of what is available/not available. Is there a particular drug you would like me to check?

Saludos,

jim

Richard, here is a clarification of the strong medication question from one of the surgeons who worked on my shoulder:

“Regarding your question, all medications are available but some like morphine, antidepressant and psychotropic drugs require a special prescription form from CONSEP that most psychiatrists and anesthesiologist have. I don’t have have it myself since it involves a lot of paperwork and if you lose one prescription is a headache to report it and maybe a fine. For sleeping disorders you can take ezopiclona with regular prescription from any doctor. For pain the strongest one with regular prescription is tramadol.”

So it appears my first source of information, who was an owner of a farmacia, not a doctor, had oversimplified the situation for me. Although to be fair, the details might also have been “lost in translation”.

Richard Dagit
    Participant

Jim, thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.