Proof of Education

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Proof of Education

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

Our expat neighbors told us they were surprised to learn that they needed proof of education beyond elementary school if they wanted to drive in Ecuador. They had not thought to bring high school or college diplomas so now their cedula does not allow them to drive. We don’t plan to drive, but would like to keep all options open. Have you heard of this requirement? And does said diploma need to be apostilled as well? How would that be done since it is not a government entity?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I have heard something like this. I can only answer anecdotally, this is a question that is best answered by a visa facilitator. I’d recommend you email attorney Santiago Andrade: santiago1397@gmail.com (in Otavalo) or visa facilitator Dana Cameron (Guayaquil): aguaplata@hotmail.com.

On the back of our cedulas (Ecuador ID card) in the upper left is a designation that indicates our level of schooling. Mine says Bachillerato — which shows that I have a college bachelor’s degree. I can’t remember for sure, but I believe I had a copy of my diploma in my paperwork. Either that, or my attorney filled that in on the visa application for me. (Honestly, the rules have changed so many times it seems to come down to what the rules are for on the particular day you apply.)

Likewise it seems the rules for obtaining a drivers license are in constant flux and have also recently changed. A few months back, a friend who had “inicial” on his cedula–which indicates only a very basic education/illiterate. He was not allowed to get his license with that designation. He does have the license today but I am unsure how he did it.

I’d suggest you add your proof of education to the list of documents you have apostilled, just to be safe. And be sure you discuss this with your visa facilitator so he/she knows you want your education indicated on your cedula.

I have also been told that a diploma or transcript, with a certified spanish translation is accepted,but Like Suzan said, you should check with a facilitator or attorney.

My wife and I got our drivers licenses last year. When we got our cedulas in November of 2013, we did not provide any proof of education, so ours say “inicio”, so we got in before the requirement.

We got our licenses through the foreign license exchange process – in other words, you provide proof you were licensed in another country, and Ecuador lets you test for the corresponding version of their license.

However, it was not that simple. Again, to amplify Suzan’s comment, things change frequently. We began gathering the docs for our process in December of 2014, and by the time we finally acquired them in April of 2015, the procedure and requirements changed twice.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.