Propane

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Is propane available in Belize? Also, why are gasoline prices so high?

Butane is more commonly used than propane.

Gas is expensive because this is a small country and the gasoline is imported. Gas is expensive in many countries, when compared to the price in the USA.

A few years ago crude oil was discovered in Belize. But the source has almost run dry now, unfortunately. Also, there is no refinery in this small country. So even the crude oil Belize did extract had to be sent out of country to be refined. So the transport adds quite a bit to the cost.

This is a very small country, with only 330,000 people. We don’t have much industry here. Tourism and agriculture are the primary money drivers for the economy of Belize.

I’ve heard that the fittings on tanks are different for propane and natural gas and I can believe this because the jets in a stove or heater are manufactured for natural gas and must be changed if you are going to use propane. I have a 100 lb propane tank, is it possible to buy an adapter for my tank if I bring it along when we move down.

Bill Wagner

DAVID L.
    Participant

Be careful about shipping tanks to Belize (or anywhere for that matter). Moving companies won’t move gas (propane, etc.) tanks.

David

William,

Your question is one I have never been asked before. The first thing to consider, as David mentions, is that it may be too problematic to move your propane tank. I assume you will be visiting before you move. On your next trip bring the specific info for your tank, and the type of fitting it has, then talk to the butane company about their fittings. Then go to a variety of hardware stores to see what you can find. But talk to the local butane provider to explore this question, if you will be allowed to bring the tank with you.

it would be much easier, and safer, to just buy a standard gas tank in Belize, rather than take a chance on bad fittings and gas leaks down the road. Gas is not something you want to take chances with in Belize. We do have fire departments, but not advanced burn centers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.