Purchasing a vehicle in Panama, versus shipping one from Tampa Bay, FL, USA

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Purchasing a vehicle in Panama, versus shipping one from Tampa Bay, FL, USA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi fellow insiders…

This is my first attempt at joining the forum and I am wondering about ideas and costs pertaining to my transportation needs/automobile… I am currently in the process of opening a bank account and applying for residency with the aid of Reinelda Mata-Kelly and her associates… (My first visit will be for around a month in August/September with a return to the United States to bid farewell to my friends and family over the holidays (Thanksgiving thru New Years day) with the plan to return permanently this January, 2015…..

In reading todays reports by Jessica and Linda.. (particularly the report by Linda on the Panamanian Hiway improvements underway between David and Santiago).. I began thinking about my own transportation needs upon relocating to Panama…

Does anyone have any experience to share pertaining to automobile purchases in Panama..and/or would it be a viable and affordable option to ship my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer from Tampa Bay, Florida (all paid off) to Panama for my transportation needs when I embark on my new life in Panama…? It is my thought that I would be able to pack my truck with belondings that will also be shipped within the truck… (not everything I possess, as I do want to start afresh.. but certainly some items that would need to be repurchased anyway once there)…

Please fee free to call me in Florida if necessary at 727-482-8813 and share information/advice on this and perhaps some other issues on my move… Like mail forewarding strategies (i’ve been thinking about)..and also.. affordable places (perhaps with room/board included?) during my 1 month to six weeks initial stay… Also..because I’ve owned my own home for the past 18 years here in Florida..what will I need in terms of reference letter for securing a lease from a landlord (perhaps a small home or condo) when I am down there during my initial visit next month… I would like to secure it for my return in January…!!

Thanks everyone (or anyone) for your input… My cell # again is 1-727-482-8813 ….

Bill Bortko

Dear Bill,

Importing your car can be expensive and unnecessary. If you do bring your car, keep in mind it may be hard to sell once you’re ready; used cars are tough to sell in Panama, because a lot of Panamanians (even first time buyers) prefer to go for new cars and financing is cheap and plentiful. And if your model isn’t common here, repairs can be an issue. Repairs on locally purchased cars (or models popular in Panama) are cheap, as parts are plentiful. You will find that new cars cost about the same in Panama as in the U.S. An automatic Hyundai Accent hatchback 2015 model, for example, will run you about $15k here. You can talk to Rainelda about the cost (duties etc) of shipping your car here. You might also try:

CARIDAD Y. AGUILAR President, Ptypackers (Panama International Packers) and Carybenha Investment Corp. Albrook Commercial Park, Warehouse D-9, Panama, Republic of Panama Tel. +507 232-7155//232-7154; Dir. +507 230-3092; cell +507 6617-8581 Email: caridad@ptypackers.com Website: http://www.ptypackers.com. Tell her you are an International Living member if you like.

Short term rentals usually do not require much in terms of references. Long term rentals are a little different, we have some info for you at: http://internationalliving.com/COUNTRY_CLUBS/PANAMA/WHERE-TO-LIVE/ (see the section on renting) and if you look, on this website, at our recent missives, Linda Card, our Chiriqui editor, recently wrote a good piece about renting. (https://internationalliving.com/category/country-insider-websites/panama-insider/panama-news-panama-insider/ I think it was June).

Hope this helps/ Don’t hesitate to post again if you have unanswered questions. It is helpful if you post each question (topic) separately.

Best regards,

Jessica Ramesch

Hi Bill- I fully agree with Jessica’s comments above. I know folks who imported vehicles and regret it. It is not worth the hassle and expense, especially for an older model, and Chevy is not a common brand here. When you visit you may want to rent a car to get around, and all the major rental companies are here.

Although you don’t mention where you would like to stay when you visit, I think you will find some useful info in the article I wrote in June about renting. There are a few sites listed there that you can check out.

Best of luck with your plans, Linda

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.