QRP and Wine

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum QRP and Wine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    DAVID L.
    Participant

Under the QRP program, how much wine can be brought into Belize with your household goods?

I am not certain, but most likely wine, beyond a couple of bottles, is not considered “household goods” for the QRP duty exception. Typically household goods categories include furniture, clothes, electronics, TVs, computers and those things that are necessary for day to day living. Duty on wine, liquor and cigars is a big money maker for the country of Belize. These are the items we are always asked about when we return to Belize.

I did a Google search and could not find any info on this topic, in terms of the QRP and wine allowances. For this specific of a question it would be best to directly contact the QRP program representative, especially since their approaches do change from year to year. Contact Roshel Godfrey, at the Belize Tourism Board/QRP Program – rgodfrey@travelbelize.org. Then ask her how they are currently approaching wine in terms of QRP duty exemptions. If you prefer to call her directly at her office, the number from the USA is 011-501-226-2420. Roshel is very helpful.

Please share with the group whatever you learn on this topic after you communicate with Roshel. It is a good idea to contact her and get to know her anyway, in case you run into any problems down the road.

Like you, we enjoy wine, having lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for over 30 years before moving to Belize. We started to drink our best wines a year before we moved here (in 2008), knowing it would be difficult to maintain an acceptable temperature during transport, and while in storage in Belize. Then we left some of our longterm wines at a friends home and we share them when we go back to the USA…

Now we bite the bullet and buy good wines when they are on sale at Wine de Vine. They offer an excellent selection. Premium Wines is pretty good, as well. Or we buy as many as allowed when we come through Duty Free at the Belize International Airport. But in Belize you will definitely need a wine chiller if you plan to keep wines here for more than a month before drinking them, since the temperature and humidity are high. Wines sour quickly here unless they are maintained at a consistent temperature that is much lower than the air temperature.

DAVID L.
    Participant

Ann,

I sent an email to Roshel. I also asked her about canned goods and food stuffs. I’ll let everyone know when I hear back from her. David

David,

We look forward to hearing what you share with the group. Thanks!

DAVID L.
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I just talked with Roshel Godfrey, Travel Belize-QRP. Bad news on the wine (sort of). The QRP program is just for household goods and not foodstuffs (e.g., wine, canned goods and other foods). So I guess we have to drink all the wine before we move down (not a bad option!).

On another front, cars and golf carts are considered vehicles. You have to pay duty on one or the other. Our option will be to pay duty on the golf cart (less duty). Another vehicle can be brought in 3 years later but a boat/airplane – duty free – are one shot deals. If you sell the original car brought in as a QRP vehicle, then, duty must be paid by someone (buyer or seller) unless the car is being sold to a “QRP person” or a diplomatic person.

She said that, for most people, being on QRP for one year is the way to go. The exception would be if you are building and you’ll be bringing in household goods for more than a year. Then, you would get an extension. I have heard where people have been on the program for multiple years but I am not sure why.

Hope this helps…..

David

David,

Another reason to remain a QRP is that you can maintain a US dollar account in Belize, as well as an offshore corporation. Quite a few expats take advantage of these options. Once you become a Belize resident, or a citizen, you no longer can have a US dollar account, or an offshore IBC. That would mean when you transferred any US or Canadian dollars to Belize, they would be converted to Belize dollars. But it is not worth it to convert Belize dollars back to US dollars. I am a QRP and I maintain a US dollar account exactly for that reason. I don’t convert the US dollars in my international bank account in Belize to BZ dollars until we need them.

For some reason, this topic of US dollar international bank accounts in Belize is seldom mentioned during QRP discussions. But I consider the banking and IBC benefits to be major advantages as compared to residency. But once you become a resident it is much easier to work here. So it depends on what an expat plans to do when living here.

Did Roshel say that you can automatically become a resident after a year of being a QRP? If so, that is a big change. I talked to her when I was updating the Belize Manual last year. But at that time it was still not possible to convert from a QRP status to a resident. For any QRP who wanted to become a resident, they had to start the entire process over again. That means you have to stay in Belize for all but 2 weeks out of a year before even applying for residency. I will be checking in with Roshel this summer to get the updates on if and when QRPs will be able to convert directly to resident status without going through the usual process.

DAVID L.
    Participant

Really good point about the USD/BZD bank accounts. I also got the impression that a good mover/transfer agent, who knows the ropes, can be an asset at the border.

My QRP package is complete and ready to go. My wife will not be on the QRP program. That would seem to give us more options.

DAVID L.
    Participant

Is being able to maintain USD and BZD accounts a function of QRP status or a function of resident versus non-resident status.

Thanks,
    David

It is a function of resident vs. non-resident. The QRP is not considered a regular resident. It’s a special status, thus is renewed yearly and can be lost.

Once you become a resident you lose your ability to have a US dollar account in Belize, or an IBC offshore corporation. Part of the reason QRPs are not residents is so that they can maintain these account and IBC benefits.

Whether you are a resident or QRP, you can have a BZ dollar account if you live in Belize.

It is a function of resident vs. non-resident. The QRP is not considered a regular resident. It’s a special status, thus is renewed yearly and can be lost.

Once you become a resident you lose your ability to have a US dollar account in Belize, or an IBC offshore corporation. Part of the reason QRPs are not residents is so that they can maintain these benefits.

Whether you are a resident or QRP, you can have a BZ dollar account if you live in Belize.

Once you become a resident you lose your ability to have a US dollar account in Belize, or an IBC offshore corporation. Part of the reason QRPs are not residents is so that they can maintain these account and IBC benefits.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.