QRP as an unmarried couple

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum QRP as an unmarried couple

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Susan Thomas.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Susan Thomas

We recently jointly purchased a lot in San Pedro and will be building a house there within the next year or two. We consider ourselves a “couple” but are not married. Can we enter the country as a couple under the QRP, or do we EACH have to satisfy the requirements of that program? Certainly, we’d prefer to come in as a couple! How do we go about finding that information?

DAVID L.
    Participant

I have not gotten good/timely response to questions using email to the Belize Tourism Board (they run the QRP program). Thankfully, they do have an 800 number. It is 800-624-0686 and ask for Ms. Hall (I think her first name is “Shaume” but I wouldn’t bet on it.) Hope this helps. David

PS: For the old timers on the program, Roshel Godfrey is no longer with the Tourism Board which is a loss to us.

Susan,

As David explains, Roshel Godfrey recently left the QRP program. So they have a relatively new person in charge now. In general, I find that it’s hard to get a response to e-mails from people who work in Belize. Many of my e-mails to Belizeans who work for the government, or even businesses, got unanswered. So it’s much better to call or visit the person when you are vacationing in Belize.

I am a QRP. The current rules do not address your situation. But common law is more the norm in Belize, than the exception. So I would expect that they will allow you and your “partner” to come into the program together. Just refer to yourselves as common law spouses and see if that works. If it doesn’t, then hire a Belizean lawyer for advice and assistance.

The other thing you could consider is that one of you could become a QRP and other a resident. As a QRP you can’t work in Belize for a salary. So if either of you think you many want to work down the road, it would make sense to hedge your bets and get two different types of residency so that at least one of you can work. That is what my husband and I did. He is a resident and I’m a QRP. Although I do work, it is all offshore. You can do that as a QRP. You just can’t work on the ground in Belize.

Susan Thomas

Thank you both, Ann and David. I know I won’t want to work, but Tom, my partner, might. So perhaps the two different types of residency may be the best way to go! Tom and I will be in San Pedro next month, arriving on Saturday, the 14th and leaving on the following Thursday. We’d love to meet any of our future neighbors, so if you are available for a lunch, dinner or drink, please let us know!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.