QRP Questions

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum QRP Questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tony Crivello
    Participant

Ann,

I have a couple of questions regarding the QRP program.
    Under the program, are you able to import any dollar amount of personal goods duty free? I read at
    one time that there was a dollar limit?
    Also, are you able to import finished wood products such as kitchen cabinets and bedroom sets?
    To members who have moved – have you imported these types of items or had them built in Belize?

Thanks, Francis

Francis,

Yes, you can import whatever personal goods you want to bring, as long as you do so during the first year you move here. You are right that there used to be a limit. When I became a QRP there was a $15,000 limit.

In general,the government of Belize makes it very difficult for anyone to bring wood into Belize, as there is so much great wood in the country. You can have fantastic wood cabinets and bedroom sets made in Belize for less than or equal to the price of buying factory furniture in North America. And that way you can pick your design and have the artisan make it like you want it. And the price to do that should be no more than what you paid for your wood products, especially when you add in the cost of moving them. But you should talk to your QRP counselor about this. Most expats do not bring wood with them. But possibly someone will respond on the Forum.

DAVID L.
    Participant

Hi Francis,

I just recently became a QRP’er. It took me about 2 months to complete the process. The paperwork is not onerous, but it does take time to get everything lined up including an HIV Test. (Our family doctor said he would do it but we would better off just ordering a kit online for privacy. Something about reporting results to the insurance company and being flagged as requesting a test….). There is a fee you need to include with the application (I think it was $250US) and once approved, another $1000US plus $250US to complete the process. If you want to include your spouse, there is an additional fee. I am just going GRP and my wife, Lynn, is going for residency status. In addition, there is annual fee of $50 for QRP. It is also my understanding that with QRP, you don’t have to pay the Belizean exit fee every time you leave the country (visiting, shopping in Mexico, etc.)
    That being said, I have not heard of a dollar limit. If there is one, it must be pretty high if you can bring in household goods, a newer car (less than 3 years old), a boat and an airplane).
    Household goods are those items that are moveable. For example, a refrigerator is OK since it moves, cabinets would not be since they are attached to the wall, toilets are not since they are bolted to the floor.
    As a side note, food (including wine and alcohol) is not allowed.
    Things change, so it helps to keep up with them. And, QRP office has a toll free number (800) to call so you can talk to them directly.
    Hope this helps,
    David

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.