Queen/King Bed at Hotels

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Queen/King Bed at Hotels

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SUSAN P.
    Participant

When looking for a hotel in Quito we are looking for a Queen or King bed. all the listings say double bed. Is there any way to tell the actual size you’re booking? If it truly is a double bed we will need to book 2 singles or 2 rooms.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Some hotels (like Marriott, Swissotel, Radisson, etc.) have kings but most of the more budget places will have what’s called “matrimonial” — what we call double. Most all will offer the option of two beds, though, so maybe you should just go that route.

SUSAN P.
    Participant

If we tried to fit into the small double beds for our whole trip it wouldn’t be called matrimonial beds it would be called divorce. LOL Thanks for your help.

MELANIE CLARK
    Participant

Also, I took the one recommendation by Suzan to stay at the Hostal de La Rabida in Quito. All the rooms show single or double beds on their website. So I emailed the hotel (email address on website ) to ask if they had queen or king beds. I got an email back within a couple of hours. Judy at the hotel said they do have King beds, and she realizes that the website doesn’t really reflect that. So Judy said we will be able to have a King bed when we are there June 2-4.

We’re staying at the Santa Lucia Hotel in Cuenca the week before and have the matrimonial room. But the man at the front desk (I actually called them to make sure they had King beds) said our room would have a King Bed. I sure hope that is true???

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Melanie, if you have no expectations and you can deal with surprises, the better off you will be in Ecuador. And there will be as many pleasant surprises as frustrating ones, believe me! Don’t sweat the small stuff. 🙂

MELANIE CLARK
    Participant

Thank you. I know that is something I have to learn more. My boyfriend is someone that flys by the seat of his pants. I’ve always been a Planner. I took Edd Stanton’s article in the March 18 Postcard to heart.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Right, life is a long learning experience. I’ve been doing this so long that not much phases me any more, although it makes me uncomfortable when I see foreigners get overly upset and wig out over little things. (You should have seen our hotel room in Mexico a couple of weeks ago… the sink was in the shower. Weird.) Overall, the Latin American society is very polite, to the point of being very formal in many situations. They just don’t understand showing anger. Being conflictive is not something they understand. So you have to shrug off a lot of things. Simmer in private, be polite in public. Hard to do sometimes, but often it gets you points you can use later. 🙂

and from my short and limited (3 hotels in 2 cities in 10 days) experience, you should expect whatever bed you get, to be “extra firm”,,,I ended up on the couch at Suissotel in Quito, and this time it was by choice,,,

MELANIE CLARK
    Participant

Bobby…thanks

Suzan…thanks for input. Good Advice. I almost never get upset when traveling anywhere because I know what the consequences can be. But I do need to get over my “need” to have everything planned to a “T”. (I just got back on the forum. I was locked out for over a week…and just had time this week to call Customer Service to figure out what happened. )

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.