Questions for first visit: to Caribbean Coast and beyond.

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Questions for first visit: to Caribbean Coast and beyond.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JOEL JOHNSON
    Participant

Greetings. I have been by default tasked with organizing 4-7 weeks of a Costa Rica trip (Oct 21 – Dec 13). I have done my research up to a point but now looking for any details and insights the group can offer. I have been a member or this group for a few years, thinking my first search trip for overseas relocation would be CR, but ended up spending 4 months in Europe last year instead. So this is my (and everyone in my party) first visit. I will be on holiday but also keeping an eye towards places I may like to test drive for retirement.

The first 3 weeks a friend and I will be in CPI Spanish immersion classes in their three locations: Heredia, Monteverde, and Playa Flamingo. Lodging and transfers to each location are already planned. We can likely keep ourselves busy with organized tours and events through the school. On Nov 14 we pick up two more folks in San Jose and the 4-week excursion begins. 0ne week later my first comrade will return home and there will be three.

So far, the only thing we can all agree upon is to head directly to the Caribbean coast for that first week. There will be four of us so we are looking at a VRBO/AIRBNB rental, rather that multiple hotel rooms. There appear to be many that would serve our needs for 4 beds and several bedrooms (snorers can bunk together!). We range from beach/water people to long-haul hikers, with lots of cross-over. Not big on the party bar scene anymore, but good food, oh yeah!

To help in my search, I would ask where along the coast we might stay. I am assuming somewhere between Cahuita and Manzanillo. Consensus is that we should be on or very close to the beach. It would be nice if there were good snorkeling walking right out the front door. So, suggestions as to the best locations to more closely investigate? Or even specific properties.

Another, rather huge, question is whether we should take the bus/van/taxi public options, and renting a car for a day or two whenever we want to go out of the way; OR to just go ahead and rent an SUV for the whole 4 weeks that 3-4 of us will be traveling together. Since I am the force behind planning, we will be hitting most every corner of the country. Several days in the central valley and highlands, NE coast and Nicoya Penn, southern zone and anywhere else. Only requirements are electricity and a water source. I most definitely will be back with more location questions.

Oh yes, water! I have read that the only drinkable water on the Caribbean coast comes from a bottle, purchased, seal unbroken. Just how much should we prepare for that and how much is just BS? Is it actually contaminated or just tastes nasty because it’s a coastal ground water source? I personally drink over 4 liters of water a day, more if I am working up a sweat. Multiply by 4. That’s a lot of store-bought water. We can bring along collapsible containers for filling up at trusted locations, and/or we can boil/treat our own where we stay (again, homes or apartments with pots) for the next day. Or is that too obsessive? Two of our crew have had Giardia, and I don’t want to make it a threesome.

I am sure that is quite enough for now. I will be compiling and presenting options to the group next week. Many MANY thanks in advance.

Joel Johnson, Sacramento CA

Hi Joel,

The water should be fine throughout the country. On the Caribbean coast the only iffy area would be the port town of Limón.

As far as a vehicle goes, it will most likely be difficult to rent a car once you get to the Caribbean. If you took a bus or inter-country travel there travel would need to be by taxi. Renting a vehicle, while expensive, provides you with the most options.

I’ll be honest, I do not know the Caribbean side very well. However, I can say that I have had many friends stay in Manzanillo and they were pleased with the beach, the food options, and accommodations.

Hope this helps,
    Greg Seymour, IL Correspondent

JOEL JOHNSON
    Participant

Thanks Greg. Maybe others have more detailed knowledge of the area. As for travel, in talking with my travel companions the consensus was to rent, even if we stick to one location for several days and don’t use it.

We will be renting either in the Playa Flamingo area and dropping of in San Jose. OR San Jose to pick up and return. Can you recommend WHERE to rent from? I hear Alamo is a good choice. We don’t need to pickup or dropoff at the airport itself, so would off-site be cheaper (no airport taxes)?

Thanks. j2

Hi Joel,

I have also heard good things about Alamo. Also, see this blog post – http://mytanfeet.com/special-deals/get-real-discount-rent-car-costa-rica/ – I am friends with the guys who run this blog and have trusted their recommendations on many things and have never been disappointed.

My guess is taxes will be the same whether you pick the vehicle up at the airport or a satellite office.

Best of luck,
    Greg

JOEL JOHNSON
    Participant

Thanks. I will check it out. j2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.