Quito to Cotacachi and back

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Quito to Cotacachi and back

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I am planning to spend a few days in Cotacachi before the Quito conference on Feb 5. In Wendy’s IL postcard yesterday she mentioned a taxi driver, Richar. Is he able to drive to the airport hotel in Quito and take me to Cotacachi, then take me back to the conference hotel in Quito? I had considered taking the bus, but since I am just starting to learn Spanish and this will be my first time in Ecuador I am a little nervous with that idea, so I thought a taxi might be a better plan. If he can’t, perhaps someone might have the name of another taxi driver I could contact.

Hi Alan,

Richar is my favorite cab driver for airport trips and I use him any time I make that run. He’s always on time, a good driver, and just a good person. He charges $60 each way, but the one possible downside is that he speaks little English. It’s not a problem if he knows where to pick you up and where you’re going, but if you’re looking for conversation on the ride it might be a little quiet.

If you e-mail me at ecuador@internationalliving.com I can give you Richar’s info or arrange for him to pick you up if you like. Or if you prefer an English-speaking driver I can give you some contacts there as well.

Thanks Wendy I will give that some thought. Does the bus from Otavalo go to a main bus station in Quito where I could find a taxi to the hotel? Also how often does the bus go from Otavalo to Quito? I am kind of on a tight budget and maybe I should just be adventurous and try the bus!

The bus is actually very easy to ride even with limited Spanish. The bus from Otavalo goes straight to the north bus terminal in Quito, known as Carcelen. A taxi from there to Swissotel should run around $12, but be sure to negotiate the price before getting into the cab.

Buses leave to Quito every 10 or 15 minutes from Otavalo so it’s easy to get right on one. Once you’re at the Otavalo bus station, you’ll hear people yelling “a Quito, a Quito!” Just follow them and they’ll put you on the right bus. The bus ride should cost $2.50.

Muchas gracias senora Wendy!

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Alan, if you take the bus, be sure to keep very close track of your “stuff.” Watch them put your bag into the storage area. And if you have any electronics (phone, camera, laptop, etc.) keep them in a backpack on your lap for the entire trip — not in the overhead bin or on the floor between your feet. I’ve never had any problems on the bus but that’s because I am very careful about this procedure. I also do not wear expensive jewelry or clothes or pull out a wad of bills or do anything that attracts unwanted attention.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.