Quito vs Cuneca

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Quito vs Cuneca

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    JAMES GOLDEN
    Participant

We are planning our initial exploratory trip to Equator for this fall. We have read much more about Cuenca than Quito as a potential retirement destination. Can anyone tell me the primary advantages of Cuenca over Quito?

I live in Cuenca, and I’d say its primary advantage is a more manageable size. You can get from one side of town to the other in about 10-15 minutes, whereas Quito is a big, sprawling city of almost 3 million citizens. Quito, on the other hand, is much more cosmopolitan, with many more shopping and dining options.

JAMES GOLDEN
    Participant

Edd, Many thanks! My wife and I will travel there initially but we have four daughters who would visit us there frequently if we spend a lot of time there in the future. Safety, especially as to violet crime including short term kidnapping, is an extremely important issue for me. Is there a big difference in that sort of crime between the two cities? For purposes of your answer please assume we will take normal precautions regarding our safety.

DIANE OUTERBRIDGE
    Participant

A year ago my husband and I took our “initial” trip to Ecuador.  Time was spent in Cuenca as well as Quito.  Both are great locations but we ended up choosing Quito “valley” areas over Cuenca because of slightly warmer temperatures.  We, as a couple, walked EVERYWHERE and felt safe (in both cities).  Upoon returning to Quito after 5 weeks, we felt very much at home and at that time we made our permanent decision.  We plan on living in Quito but also taking trips to Cuenca for extended visits to enjoy that city.  Give it all a try.

I don’t have specific statistics about the two cities. I can only speculate that because worldwide there is more crime in larger cities, Quito would have more than Cuenca.

I love Quito. If I were looking, I would consider it, for many reasons, including health care and access to the new international airport.

JAMES GOLDEN
    Participant

Diane, Edd and Susan, Many thanks. Your comments are very helpful!

My wife and I, along with our son and daughter-in-law, will land in Quito this July 3rd. Our first day will be spent with a driver, sight-seeing as well as exploring some of the most notable gated communities. The Quito golf club will also be on our list. Can you possibly save us some time by offering your own personal suggestions as to which gated communities are considered the best values? The names of your 2-3 favorite restaurants would also be appreciated. I believe that my wife’s feigned enthusiasm regarding this trip has been motivated by the hope that, once having seen Ecuador, I’ll finally cease talking about it. I suspect – and hope – that she will be proven wrong. Many thanks in advance for your valuable insights.
    — Mike Sylvester

Mike, hmmm… gated communities in Quito. I don’t really know them all that well. One you might want to check out is Los Chillos – -that’s where one of the golf clubs is. It’s in Los Chillos Valley — nice area. On the western flank of Mt. Pichincha you might also look at Quito Tenis — they also have a gold club…I think it’s a little pricey, but might be worth a look. And perhaps take her to Cumbaya and Tumbaco — its where the more upscale commuters live who work in the city.

You might want to email Sarah Dettman (s.dettman@yahoo.com) and ask her for more details. She lives in Conocoto and knows Quito and the valley areas very well. She also runs tours for expats and she’d happily put something together for you if you want — but she’ll also answer your questions in any case.

Favorite restaurants… that’s pretty subjective. There are many. When we go to Quito we often start our evening in the heart of the Mariscal district in one of the sidewalk cafes at Plaza Foch. Our favorite cafe is on the southwest corner… think it is called “O” or something like that.

For dinner, we might walk two blocks up Reina Victoria to the casually hip Boca del Lobo or a bit further to our favorite pizza place, called Cosa Nostra, near the Hotel Sebastian. There are also some very nice upscale eateries that offer exquisite tasting menus with wine pairings. (Alma and Zazu are two of them). Go hungry (like don’t eat all day ) and don’t plan on functioning the next day, you’ll be so sated. We also like Noe’s for sushi and a Peruvian seafood restaurant called Segundo Muelle. Both of these last two are in La Floresta, between the Swissotel and Hotel Quito. (The latter has a great bar for watching the sun go down over the city.) There are also a couple of nice restaurants in Old Town with great rooftop views… a good place for more restaurant reviews is TripAdvisor.

Mike, pay very close attention to your wife’s objections. As we say in the South, “When momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.” Gated communities and fancy restaurants are only the tip of the iceberg to a satisfying life abroad. I’ve already seen too many unfortunate endings when one member of a couple initially acquiesces to the other’s enthusiasm. It’s vitally important for both of you to be 100% in on expatriation.

Good point, Edd. You sound like a very nice husband.

Thanks for the sound advice, Edd. I figured that after 39 years of marriage, it just MIGHT be my turn to get my way! Yeah, I know, it might also take another 39 years until I’m officially able to high-five myself! Anyway, the trip will prove eventful either way. A country club could well be the carrot I’ll need as bait for my ‘trap’, so exploring that option will be a wise investment of time. My ultimate trump cards, of course, might well prove to be my son and daughter-in-law. Were they to suddenly embrace the idea of retirement at 31 years of age, the plot would thicken immeasurably. Either way, I’ve had this thing for Ecuador for years now and can only hope that we’ll both go away at least somewhat intrigued by the idea of one day relocating. We spent 17 years (1974-1991) in Italy while I played professional basketball, so overseas living should not frighten us. Thanks again for your insights.

Good for you, Mike. My wife and I are also long-timers, so perhaps I was “preaching to the choir.” All the best to you & your family.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.