Real Estate Search

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Real Estate Search

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DAVID STONE
    Participant

We, my wife and I, are looking for what may be impossible.  We currently live in a guard gated community of upscale homes in a resort community in Arizona.

We’re looking for two different situations to examine in Ecuador and if available we’ll make the trip and be willing expats!   P.S.  We already have some money in Ecuador so one might say we’re following our money.  We’ve also attended the last IL event in Las Vegas.

Here’s what is on our radar.

First is a beach property.  White sand beach, full internet service and good infrastructure along with a gated community are preferred.  The house should have +/- 2000 SF livable and a view.

Second, or alternative, is a Colonial style property in Quito or Cuenca.  Similar size as above with a center courtyard.

Is this possible and if so can you recommend a sales person in each area?

Dave Stone
    desaz@cox.net

We’ve got 1200+ miles of coastline and no realtor covers the entire area. Could you be more specific about what area you might be interested in? In Cuenca contact Maribel Crespo. Her email is crespomaribel@hotmail.com. But be aware that colonials with central courtyards are usually HUGE, not 2000 sq. ft.

DAVID STONE
    Participant

The coastal area of preference is Manta north to Bahia.  We’re looking for a real estate person who will show us their listings and other agent’s listings too.

David, the beaches in Ecuador are not white sand. And I don’t know of any gated communities along the stretch you’re requesting. One person you might contact is Tom Saunders(tom@ecuadorbeachfrontproperty.com).

Be aware that the real estate business is not the same here as it is in the US. There is no MLS, so agents don’t typically know of other listings besides their own. That’s why — if you want to se lots of inventory — you’ll need to work with multiple agents.
    You can see some other options here: https://internationalliving.com/country_clubs/ecuador/travel-itineraries/itineraries-essential-ecuador/

But please please — if you decide to buy anything — you must do your own due diligence on any property you might consider. There are a lot of inexperienced developers taking a stab at this coast and many of them don’t know what they are doing. Tom Saunders, for instance, is building a community near San Clemente… and I have no idea of his experience level or financial foundation.

The only true gated community I know (that is actually progressing and is being done well) of is about 45 minutes north of Bahia. And that’s Jama Campay (http://www.jamacampay.blogspot.ie). For more information about Jama Campay, contact Francisco del Castillo (franciscodelcastillo@constructoradelcastillo.com).

As for infrastructure, it won’t be as developed as you are expecting or experiencing in Arizona. The road is excellent and the electricity and water are reliable but internet is slow and unreliable. I know they are working on that situation and I suspect in the coming year or two, those issues will be solved.

Most of the coast is comprised of tiny fishing villages… so if you are looking for fancy restaurants and shopping complexes, you’ll be disappointed unless you look closer to Manta or Salinas.

You might also ask Francisco Castillo for  contact to show you old colonials in Quito. Edd is right — most are far larger than 2,000 sq. ft. and  will need extensive renovation… unless you are looking for one that is already renovated?

It is hard to find English-speaking real estate agents in Old Tow Quito, but a good place to start your search is here: http://www.livewellecuador.com/Pages/default.aspx

Matt Guillory has been living and selling property in Old Town for about 12 years, among other irons in the fire. He may be able to help you — but again, proceed with caution and give yourself enough time on the ground in Ecuador to do your research and due diligence.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.