Recipe request

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Recipe request

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BOB SHAPLAND
    Participant

My wife and I have traveled to Panama four times now. A dish commonly served for breakfast at several of the hotels we have stayed at typically contains a meat (beef strips, chunks of chicken, or pieces of chorizo), peppers, and onions in a sauce that is orange-tinted in color and may be oil-based. We love this dish, regardless of the meat used, and would like to know how to make the sauce. I’ve had no luck looking online.

Hi Bob,

It’s probably bistec picado or bistec criollo…I’ve never made it but if you look under these names there are some recipes online, this one contains tomato and achiote so it would have that red color that you describe:

http://www.recetas.com.pa/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1816:bistec-entomatado&catid=124:panamena&Itemid=459

It says you season the meat with salt, crushed garlic, and achiote oil and let it sit for 10 minutes, then fry with two cubes of beef bouillon and chopped tomatoes and onion (you could add peppers too?), cover and turn periodically till cooked through.

Hope this helps!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.