Renovating houses

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Renovating houses

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    GRAINNE FOLEY
    Participant

Hi Jason

I wanted to find to if there is any kind of a market for renovating houses, my husband can build pretty much anything and had sone so in the states. We would like to continue doing that in CR, is that a possibility if we were to hire local workers to help?

Thanks

Grainne

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Grainne,

I haven’t heard of any expats with businesses like this. But it could be possible. I think you might have a tough time though. With labor costs so low, most people rely on local contractors and builder for renovations. Your husband would not be able to charge what he would in the U.S.

Here’s another issue. Technically, foreign residents are not allowed to actively “work” in a business. They are legally allowed only to be managers of local employees. Do expats work in their own businesses, say in a restaurant or store? Yes. Technically illegal but it’s kind of a grey area. Something to keep in mind.

I would also encourage you to ask people you might during your scouting trip to get their take on this situation and the possibility of an expat renovation company.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.