Rental Car vs Drivers or Tours

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Rental Car vs Drivers or Tours

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

We have airline reservations for a family vacation/exploratory trip with an 8 day stay the second week of March arriving and departing from San Jose. Our two kids are in their early 20’s. We were considering renting a car and sort of following the recommended “quick trip” itineray in this site, with some flexibility along the way. The problem is that we are becoming paranoid about renting a vehicle after researching and speaking with friends about the some-what shady terms, multiple insurance recommendations that do not cover vehicle damage, the break-ins, road bandit sabotage, corrupt law enforcement shakedown cash fines, don’t drive at night, poor road conditions that cause vehicle damage, security parking, etc.. My neighbor has a place in Jaco and recommendend hiring a driver and using extreme caution if renting and driving and to stay on the major highways. This seems limiting.  I guess the other options would be tour buses and private shuttles that may also limit our flexibilty and may be cost prohibitive for a family of 4 for this duration as well. Would anyone care to weigh in on this? Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks, Steve

Hi Stephen,

Let me put in my two cents and then let some other members chime in. First off, renting a car is the best way to see the country, especially on an exploratory trip.

All those problems with car rentals you are describing are worst-case scenarios. It makes CR sound like a very dangerous place – which it isn’t. I’ve rented a lot of cars in CR and I’ve never had any issues. Of course, some people have and they’ve posted on forums, etc. which is probably what you’ve read. When renting a car there are some things to keep in mind and look out for.

Stick with one of the major rental companies, like Economy, Hertz, Adobe, Budget, etc. But keep in mind that a price on a reservation made online doesn’t include the insurance usually. The insurance is the most confusing part about renting the car. There are multiple types, with this or that deductible. I usually go for total coverage, so anything that happens to car is covered and you pay nothing if it is damaged. You can contact your credit card company but usually they won’t cover you in Costa Rica if you drive on dirt roads, which is likely at some point in your trip.

Speaking of road conditions, major highways are in pretty good shape, and secondary roads too, for the most part. But there are areas with plenty of potholes and bumps. In some areas there are mainly dirt roads. It all depends on where you go. If you’re going off the beaten path, get an SUV. If you’re staying in town or in  resort area, a sedan is fine.

Break ins happen. But following common sense tips mitigates the risk. Don’t leave valuables out. Park where there is a security attendant. Most hotels, restaurants, souvenir stands, markets, neighborhoods will have one that they’ve hired to watch cars. He’s usually wearing a orange or yellow reflective vest. Tip a dollar or 500 colones. Bandits are extremely rare.

You do hear stories about law enforcement seeking “tips” but this is much less common than most people like to think, an exception to the rule. In fact, you’d most likely get in trouble if you tried to bribe an officer. There are different types of police in CR. On the highways are the transit police. They catch speeders and make sure each car is up to date on its inspections, etc. In town, you have the Fuerza Publica, the local police, and the Tourist Police, who help visitors.

The driving in Costa Rica isn’t too bad. Drivers tend to be a bit more aggressive as far as passing and not yielding to pedestrians. I actually feel more in danger driving on a major highway in a big U.S. city. But you do have to be on your toes as dogs, people, school kids, bikes, motorcycles, and chickens share the road. Driving at night is okay in short bursts. But because it gets dark by 6 p.m. all those people sharing the road I just mentioned are still there, so I wouldn’t try to drive more than an hour in the evening.

In my opinion, private shuttles do limit you. And the advantages of renting outweigh the possible problems.

Jason

I should add that the traffic in San Jose and right outside the airport is kind of crazy. But don’t worry. 15 minutes into your drive outside that area and you’re out of the traffic. Every other area of the country is much less crowded on the roads.

Oh, and it’s a good idea to get the GPS at the rental agency. It’s peace of mind.

Jason,

Thank you for your insight and comments. Lets say that we chose not to drive everywhere and were to get to the Lake Arenal area that is a little remote or off the beaten path and stay at one of the many places available for a few days, would it be easy to find alternate transportation at our convenience to get around and explore the surrounding area and attractions or is it too remote and limited?

Thanks again, Steve

yes, I have successfully used John Villalobos Garcia of Costa Rica Travel and Adventure Service. His email is transportes5zero6@hotmailcom or escazucar@yahoo.com. He is in the San Jose area. Best part, he’s on time (and shows up). He can also pick up at the airport. He drove me from San Jose to Arenal when my prior plans for a ride fell through. I’ve recommended him to others. Tell him Carolyn from Arenal said hi!

Thanks for sharing, Carolyn.

Stephen – Arenal has plenty of shuttles, taxis, and private drivers that can get you around that region. A good idea if you plan to head out often is to arrange a deal with a driver where you tell him where you plan to go each day and then work out a price for the entire time. Your hotel can often recommend someone. At the very least get a driver’s or taxi’s number. If you’re in a remote area or at an attraction that’s out of the way, there might not be transportation readily available unless you arrange beforehand.

Another option is renting a car in La Fortuna, which is the main tourist hub in Arenal. That way you can enjoy that convenience during your stay – there is no traffic there and the driving is very easy. If you’re staying at a hotel outside of La Fortuna, they can usually bring the car to you. Again, talk to the front desk of the hotel for help.

NANCY SCHAFF

Stephen – Check out my post on the Trip Advisor CR Forum.  We had no problems with renting a car and had some great adventures.  I wouldn’t do it any other way.  We were in Costa Rica for the first time last February and are going back again this year and renting a car from the same place.  No problems. We drove to Manuel Antonio, Dominical, Monte Verde, Arenal, and around the Central Valley.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k5193149-First_Time_Visit_Trip_Report_Feb_2012-Costa_Rica.html

THOMAS MERGENS
    Participant

I might add to all of this that your ability to do things like read traffic signs in Spanish will greatly influence what approach you take.  🙂   My wife and I traveled to CR for the first time about 6 years ago, and we just hired a service to pick us up in one city and drop us off at the next.  It was very convenient, the drivers were very nice and on time, and the cars were very clean.  We covered four different areas in 12 days – San Jose, Arenal, Monteverde, and Guanacaste.  I NEVER would have tried to drive in a foreign country and with a different language on all the signs by myself.  And we are very adventurous types.  But the roads that our drivers took from point A to point B often would have been  hard for us to understand.

Fast forward and we now have land we have purchased outside Dominical, and when we visit from the States (not yet moved down there), we rent a car at the SJ airport and hit the highways.  We are on the Costanera Sur in less than 90 minutes and are very comfortable on the roads.

One more thing – IF you decide to rent, make sure that you know what roads you will be driving on and the time of year you will be there.  The main roads are very good, but up in the mountains you will still find a lot of dirt.  And in the Green Season, a lot of mud and possibly rushing rivers/creeks.   Make sure that you have the right car for the conditions.  If you think you will be on dirt roads and with lots of potholes, or you are in the Green Season, don’t just get the cheapest 4-wheel drive.  Get something like the Toyota Prada, that can really handle the roads.  You will be glad you did.

Pura Vida.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. We have decided to rent an SUV from Hertz as I have a long history with them. We will have a GPS,  good maps, plan ahead and try to stay to the major highways, drive defensively and enjoy. Both my son and I have studied Spanish and have driven in Mexico on several occasions so I think that we can get by OK.

Pura Vida

I was in CR in January for three weeks. I drove from the Central Valley to Arenal twice. The main roads to Arenal are in good condition but have many switch backs. I used the midsized SUV (Hundai Santa FE) that I rented from Adobe. It was in excellent condition. I was told by the real estate agent in Arenal that I was wise not to go with the smallest SUV (as many tourists do) because once you get off the main road the roads can be very rough.  I also found the GPS (extra $ but worth it) very helpful. CR does not use addresses but points of interest instead. Adobe has excellent customer service. They brought the car to me and picked it up from the airport hotel at the end of my trip. My husband and I were very happy to have the flexibility as we stayed in many different areas and were able to change our itenerary as we pleased.

JIM URICK

We are going to be all over CR in March, and chose to go with GreenTravelCosta Rica for our Rental car.  The major companies were quite a bit more expensive, so cross our fingers and will give you a full report come April.  I’ve also heard both sides of the story on smash& grab, etc., but I’m confident if we don’t leave anything of value in the car, lock the doors, and pay the guard a buck at a parking spot, that all will be fine.  I’m usually pretty observant of where not to be, or not to park.  We will be on the central and southern coasts, at Arenal, Tamarindo, and Montezuma. Putting on the miles!  Hope the gas prices go down!!

Jim Urick

Used to potholes in the Minnesota winter!

I just came back from three weeks in Costa Rica – Nuevo Arenal. I rented from Adobe and they were first rate. I had a problem with the car not starting and they found me, fixed the issue and were ready to trade out the car if necessary–all with a great attitude and very fast. I drove to San Jose, then took another trip to Sarchi, and to Liberia, so I was all over. I tend to drive at night only around the lake where I am comfortable that I know where I”m going, but I had absolutely no problem. Yes, the drivers are aggressive, but having driven in Silicon Valley for years, it’s about like that. While aggressive, they are also not as rude as drivers in the U.S. I stopped and asked for directions several times and for the most part received accurate ones, and when they weren’t the problem was most likely one of language. I will be renting from Adobe again next month when I get to CR full time, until I can find a car to purchase. If you are going to rent a car in Costa Rica, be aware that most of them are standard shift rather than automatic. If you want an automatic transmission you MUST specify that when arranging for the rental, otherwise a stick shift will be assumed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.