Retiree Benefits

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Retiree Benefits

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

Hi Experts,
    In reading this US News article, I wondered if all these benefits are really true. I hadn’t come across them in any International Living information. Except the going-to-the-head-of-the-line benefit if over 65.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/2014/06/17/4-countries-that-welcome-american-retirees

This says 50% off airline tickets for example, and many other things like cultural activities and utility bills. Do you have to be over 65, or merely achieve retiree residency? Which they say is quite complicated. Have you experts achieved this retiree status? Paying only half for airline tickets would be amazing.

The 50% airline discount (for residents 65 and older) turns out to be somewhat of a red herring. For flights originating in Ecuador, the discount is taken from the highest base fare, plus regular price for all the fees and taxes. The savings can still be up to 30%, but I’ve honestly found cheaper fares by diligently searching through Kayak.

Cultural events (sports and movies)–yes. Public buses (both local and countrywide)–yes. Utility bills are discounted only if you own your property. If you rent, the bills are in the landlord’s name and you get no credit.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.