Retiree Discounts

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Retiree Discounts

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD S.

My wife, Sunny, and I are moving to Boquete in March. Unfortunately, Sunny’s fingerprints are too faint to be read by the FBI so she is unable to get the FBI Criminal History Background Check. I have read in blogs or newsletters that “Retirees”, i.e., those over age 65, can receive similar benefits to those on the Pensionado visa. Is this corrent? If so, are Reitires entitled to the same discounts as Pensionado? In particular with regard to Copa Airline tickets?
    Thank you!
    Richard Shute
    r.shute@comcast.net

Dear Richard,

Thanks for posting. I’m sure there must be some sort of solution if the fingerprinting methods used thus far have not worked for your wife, so check with state police, your local attorney, or even your congressperson to see if help is available.

The discounts on air fare and many other expenses ranging from travel and entertainment to medical care are the same for all (of-age retirees and/or members of the Pensionado program) provided you are legally resident in Panama (you must show the appropriate Panama-issued ID to get the discount).

There are, I believe, two exceptions: 1- the tax exemption on the purchase or importation of a car and 2- on the importation of household goods up to $10,000, which are available only to those who obtain their Panama residence via the Pensionado program.

Copa airline tickets are discounted when originating in Panama and with a Panama ID showing that you are a Pensionado or of-age retiree.

Per Panama law the FBI report is required to become legally resident in Panama.

As mentioned on your Panama Insider website, official retirement age in Panama is 60 for men and 55 for women.

A Panama attorney can help explain the ins and outs of importing cars/household goods and of obtaining legal residence (there is an attorney listed in the rolodex of this website).

Hope this information helps!

Regards,

IL Panama Editor Jessica Ramesch

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.