Retiring in Belize!

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Retiring in Belize!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    TERRY G.

Hello all! My name is Terry, and I have been checking Belize out for quite some time as a retirement possibility! I hope to visit in either February, or March 2015. I had hoped that a friend was going to join me for this exploration, but I’m not sure that it will happen that way! I will do it alone if necessary, but would love to find a travel partner. I hope to find a place to live on my SS benefits, possibly open a small Cafe’, with maybe organic coffees, and baked goods. This is just a thought at this stage. I also want to be close (within a half hour) to scuba diving! I also have thoughts of a small farm in the future, where I can perfect my Permaculture design abilities. I would love to hear from you guys! Thanks….Terry

Hi Terry,

Between this forum, and the IL Belize Community Forum, many of your questions will be addressed and you will possibly meet some kindred souls. You can definitely find a place to live on Social Security if you receive a reasonable amount each month. But SS is a bit slim to live on the cayes. Keep in mind that the Qualified Retirement Program requires that you deposit $2000 US/month. You can get by on less on the mainland, but it’s difficult to do so on the very popular cayes, which are near the reef. It isn’t impossible, but it is difficult, if you don’t own your own home. Rents tend to be higher in the resort areas of Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker and Placencia. To be within a 30 minute boat ride of the reef, you would need to live on a caye. So you will need to lower your expectations in regards to the time it takes to reach the reef to scuba dive unless you have enough income to live on one of the cayes. It takes over an hour to get to the reef from most mainland areas.

Opening an organic cafe with coffee and baked goods could work if you locate in an area where expats hang out, if they are willing to pay the higher price for organic coffee. You would need to do research and visit other cafes and look at the prices being charged, then decide if you could compete financially. Most areas now have cafes, but few have “organic” coffee cafes. I’m not sure if there is enough of a market here to make it work yet. And, in truth, I’d bet that the much of the coffee bean supply coming from nearby Guatemala may be organic.

If you want to farm, you will be giving up your goal to be near the water and the reef. The farming areas tend to mainly be in the interior of the country. So you have many good ideas, but they are competing with one another. But it’s fun to dream and figure it out!

Have you come to visit as of yet? It sounds like you have not seen too many areas of the country. So now that you are starting to think about what you would do here, it’s time to come and visit and check out the various areas of the country. We also have a lot of data, including cost of living details, for the main areas expats settle. So be sure to spend time on the Belize Insider website.

Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.