Returning to CR?

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Returning to CR?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JAMES S.

My wife and I are currently living in CR. We have completed our applications for temporary residency permits and have the stamped/signed documents showing that our residency applications are en proceso. Our original tourist visas have expired and we have not made any border runs. We do not have a car and we do not drive here in CR. We are flying back to the U.S. for two weeks and are then returning to CR. Question: Realistically, do we need to waste $$ buying tickets showing that we will be exiting CR within 90 days of our return. I understand that we should have an exempt status from that requirement because of our completed applications but, lacking actual temporary residency permits, should we still purchase proof of planned exit tickets?

Thanks much in advance for any advice.

Jim Sanders

Hi Jim,

My wife and are were in the same boat a few months ago. We had our stamped paperwork but no cedula yet. We were required to purchase a forward on ticket when we checked in with Spirit in Dallas. The requirement seems to be more enforced on the US end than with CR – we have never been asked to see a return ticket from any agent in CR. On a separate occasion to the States with Southwest we were not asked about a forward on ticket. The adage “your mileage may vary” is very appropriate.

We now always just but a return ticket and front the extra money to buy a refundable one. Once we get in the country we have it refunded.

Best of luck,

Greg Seymour
    IL Central Valley Correspondent

DAVID ORR

Hi Jim,

I am a recent arrival in CR but have been told the following about the question you ask. One way around the “gotta have a return ticket” thing is to buy a return trip ticket the day you leave so you have a return trip itinerary, then cancel your return trip ticket within 24 hours of the purchase for a refund. I’ve been told that, despite the airlines saying their ticket is non-refundable, by law they must refund your ticket if you cancel within 24 hours of purchase. I think I saw that on this site as well. Just another option.

Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.