Safe neighborhoods in Panama City

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Safe neighborhoods in Panama City

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A.
    Participant

I am staying in El Cangrejo. Is it reasonably safe to walk to the Farmers Market in Curundu, or is Curundu an area to avoid?

PS When I think of farmer’s markets in the States, I remember sunny days, nice long tables laden with fresh produce and honey and prettily packaged organic cookies, that sort of thing. Here in Panama however farmer’s markets are simply stalls with produce…beautiful fresh produce, yes, but simply presented, no frills. So they’re fine to go check out but not something I’d do for an outing, unless it’s a market like the one in the mountain town of El Valle which has handicraft stalls etc, not just farmer stalls. Hope that helps.

Best,

Jessica

Hi, El Cangrejo is great, safe and walkable as it is in downtown Panama City, but I would not walk to Curundu as, on your way, you might stumble into a sketchy area such as the end of Transistmica/Simon Bolivar. If you’d like to see a local style market try the fish market at the end of the Cinta Costera, right by the entrance to Casco Viejo. There are little food stalls and lots of visitors have enjoyed it.

Have a nice time.

Jessica Ramesch
    IL Panama Editor

RICHARD A.
    Participant

Thanks Jessica. Yes, I have been to the Mercado de Mariscos srveral times already. It is wonderful; great recommendation. I always get some fabulous ceviche while there. Where do Panama City residents go for a good selection of fresh fruits and vegetables?

Hi there,

Great question.

The best supermarkets for fresh produce are typically Riba Smith (any), El Rey (particularly the one on Calle 50, though the Via EspaƱa one close to you usually isn’t bad), and Super 99 (only the one in Punta Pacifica, the rest are pretty sad when it comes to fresh produce).

Riba Smith has a small organic section, even.

The Bal Harbour strip mall in Paitilla also has two “Chinos” (Chinese owned mini-marts) that specialize in providing hard-to-find items, including Asian ingredients (seaweed, condiments, udon noodles, etc.) and fresh produce from around the world. I’ve found everything from cactus fruit to enoki mushrooms there (items I’ve never seen anywhere else in Panama).

As for simple farmers stalls you’ll find a super cheap one in Parque Omar, that’s my favorite for potatoes, tomatoes, local fruit…and you can get fresh fruit smoothies too. It’s a little more convenient to El Cangrejo than the larger Curundu market you asked about (you can go there too! I just wouldn’t walk…take a taxi or even get a friend to drive you/go with you the first time to show you the ropes, etc.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.