Safe to Drink the Water

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Safe to Drink the Water

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ORAL KENZIE
    Participant

I have read conflicting articles; one saying the water is safe to drink another saying to drink bottled water. Can someone elaborate on this for me?
    I assume that the water is okay in the big cities and maybe not so good in the country but would like to know for sure.

Oral, I drink the tap water at my home in Cotacachi, I have read many times that the water in Cuenca is potable (drinkable) and the same in Quito. I am uncertain about other areas. However, health professionals will tell you not to drink the tap water. Some people hook up a purification system under the sink or on the faucet. Some use Britta pitchers and filters, others buy bottled water.

My wife & I drink the tap water in Cuenca and have never had a problem.

Having lived in Brazil, I can only base my comment on that experience which may be different than what one might find in Ecuador. If I was only going to visit for a short time, I would drink bottled water just to eliminate the chance of gastric distress. If I was going to be living in such a country, then I would drink bottled water in the beginning and then gradually add tap water over a period of a month or so to give my system a chance to adjust to the changing chemical makeup of the water supply. I also would have a water testing meter to use occasionally for my local water supply in the house.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.